3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gas Overflow when Full

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM
tke_cowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas Overflow when Full

I have an '04 Ram that has a problem at the pump, aside from being there a lot. When I fill the tank and click on the auto fill on the handle, almost simotaniously as the pump shuts off, gas shoots out of the tank back over the handle and all down the side of my truck.
I've seen a couple other threads like this and every one gets shut up with the idea that they're "doing it wrong" or it's a bad pump. Well I'm filling it the same way I've always done it with any other vehicle I've had and it's at every pump I go to, so is it the design of the truck or is something wrong maybe?

any ideas?

I appreciate your info!!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:17 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Mine used to do that almost every time but now it doesnt. Sorry I am no help.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
damien1023
Veteran

mine doesnt shoot out however if i fill it up past a few clicks it will leak out of the rubber hose that connects the filler to the tank =( but thats my fault

Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 PM
sk425k
Professional

mine does it but not when it clicks off, it only does it if i or the gas station attendent trys to top it off, if after ir clicks off they or i put more then 50 cents it all over the side of my truck. I think it is because the filler hose is almost horizontal so when its full it is really full.. but cant be sure

Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sk425k
mine does it but not when it clicks off, it only does it if i or the gas station attendent trys to top it off, if after ir clicks off they or i put more then 50 cents it all over the side of my truck. I think it is because the filler hose is almost horizontal so when its full it is really full.. but cant be sure

+1 Mine Too!!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Mine does it religiously...unless I go to a station with a dual speed auto fill handle. I put it on the low tab and it won't spill out...the high tab goes all over the side of my truck. I've heard the whole tank and filler needs to be replaced..

Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
sk425k
Professional

Originally Posted by The Peddler
+1 Mine Too!!
LOL i hate it, especially when they dont listen!!!! A waste of money and i have to go home wash it off and usually wax it!!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 PM
hemi v8

I had the same problem with my 07 Quad cab. It's the vapor recovery system inside the tank. The dealer ordered me a new tank, replaced it in about an hour and I have had no problems since. It drove me nuts too. I tried different stations as well as pumps, I knew it was something with the truck. Hope this helps you out.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
hemidaytona14

mine does the same thing. I took it to the dealer about a year ago and one of the service managers came with me to fill up. Of course its not the normal gas stations i go to, its one of the small cheapie ones. I fill up, it doesnt overfill. I noticed that the pump was going slower, so maybe that has something to do with it, but i know they didnt do a thing about it and i havent really been able to top off at a normal gas station since then. I dont know the problem, i dont know if i should just fill up slower everytime or just ask the dealer again to see if they have serviced something like it.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hemidaytona14
mine does the same thing. I took it to the dealer about a year ago and one of the service managers came with me to fill up. Of course its not the normal gas stations i go to, its one of the small cheapie ones. I fill up, it doesnt overfill. I noticed that the pump was going slower, so maybe that has something to do with it, but i know they didnt do a thing about it and i havent really been able to top off at a normal gas station since then. I dont know the problem, i dont know if i should just fill up slower everytime or just ask the dealer again to see if they have serviced something like it.
Bring it to a station of your choice...preferably one that you've been to that has overflowed it.

Quick Reply: Gas Overflow when Full