3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My '07 Ram was almost stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 AM
volcom2218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '07 Ram was almost stolen!

So I woke up this past saturday morning to see that my rear passenger window was shattered and my inigition and stearing column beat to heck, someone tried to still my truck.

I am not very mechainally inclined, so I need a little help. My key still fits in the ignition and i can turn the truck on, but it turns off after 3 seconds of being on. I am assuming its the kill switch (anit-theft system).

I already got the window replaced, next is the ignition.

Is it possible to still started my truck so i can drive it, can i disable the kill switch myself, and how would I do that.

About how much would it cost to replace and fix the damage.

Here are a few pics of the damage.

Any responses will help. Thank you.

-volcom2218

Name:  DSCN3349.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  DSCN3348.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  34.2 KB

Old 09-22-2008, 06:13 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

I have no info on how to disable the anti-theft setup but since this will be an insurance claim, why not just call the hook to tow her to the dodge dealership to have it fixed?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by semigod
I have no info on how to disable the anti-theft setup but since this will be an insurance claim, why not just call the hook to tow her to the dodge dealership to have it fixed?
I second that. Don't screw around. You pay for the insurance (it better be insured), use it. Red

Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM
jstmahoney
Captain

I third. Get it to a Dodge dealer. if it's still under warranty, I'd take it in sure, don't want to give them any reason to void your warranty. File a claim, and look into a good alarm system.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

That does suck but the dealer is the best bet.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
volcom2218

I agree that I need to go through my insurance, but i need a drivable vehicle right now. I spoke to my insurance agent on saturday and she said I need to wait to hear from the insurance company before I send my truck anywhere.

I need to get to work so I was wondering if i can get past the kill switch part of the truck so i can atleast drive it.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Chris@AutoLeatherInc
Official Site Sponsor

Definitely use your insurance and take it to the dealer. They'll likely be the only ones who can get it fixed. The ignition-kill systems are designed to be nearly impossible to defeat (without the right tools, i.e. dealership tools).

Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
volcom2218

Thank you for the replies, I was hoping that I would be able to drive my truck in the mean time. My insurance company is very slow and I am all new to the claims and insurance stuff. Im 20 years old and live paycheck to paycheck. So I am in a huge bind at the moment.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
hemi head

Seems like it's not recognizing the chip in your key.May be if you put one key in ,turn it to on(not start),wait for all the lights in the dash to come on and the chime to stop,then turn it off,pull it out and put in your other key and repeat the process then wait a couple minutes and try to start it.

If that won't work they may have pulled the wires off the chip's receiver or antenna,whatever that thing is inside the steering column.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
BCGray
Amateur

Originally Posted by hemi head
Seems like it's not recognizing the chip in your key.May be if you put one key in ,turn it to on(not start),wait for all the lights in the dash to come on and the chime to stop,then turn it off,pull it out and put in your other key and repeat the process then wait a couple minutes and try to start it.

If that won't work they may have pulled the wires off the chip's receiver or antenna,whatever that thing is inside the steering column.

The antenna is not in the steering column, that is what the thief's think, and disabling the antenna, shuts down the truck.

Best bet is to call your insurance and tell them you require another vehicle, and yes that is covered by your insurance, even though they will try to tell you different. If they fail to cooperate tell them you will complain to the Insurance Bureau in your state.

The Insurance companies forced the Manufacturers to install Secure keys to stop the inflated vehicle theft that they were suffering from, they even offer lower insurance rates to owners of Secure Key Equipped vehicles. So stand tall with them, and tell them you know your rights. Not easy when your twenty and it is the first time, I know I didn't and payed the price.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: My '07 Ram was almost stolen!