3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 ltr V8..k&n air filter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
jorswift
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I have a k&n drop in. I have had it for a couple years now and didnt know this. So what do you recommend Airram? what kind of CIA? would a cai with a k&n filter still restict? thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Interesting test results to be sure. Thanks for digging that up. I, too, have an '08 which has the different 4.7. I wonder if there is a difference on that one. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soccerman002
What was the condition of the K&N filter that you tested? Was it just cleaned & oiled, over oiled perhaps, really dirty, etc.? Was the stock filter brand new? I know you've got a meter that is showing the HP loss, but if the filter is suppose to flow more, how could it do more harm than good? Not saying your results aren't valid, just doesn't make any sense.
The filter was slightly used so it was NOT full of any dirt and the oil had time to dissipate. K&N filters are known to flow less right after a cleaning. The filter in the test started off as a brand new filter with about 1,000 miles on it.

The results make PERFECT since... the K&N just does NOT flow better then your stock Paper filter... End of story. No matter what K&N claims, the facts are just that.. YES I again agree, I too was SHOCKED to find the results... but they are consistent across the country on the "3rd Gen Rams" To include 4.7L & 5.7L filters. The K&N filter just does NOT flow as much as the stock paper filter.

Do your own testing and you will be able to confirm it on your own. You will see better MPG with a stock PAPER FILTER then you will with a K&N drop in. (on your 3rd Gen Ram)

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by jorswift
well, I have a k&n drop in. I have had it for a couple years now and didnt know this. So what do you recommend Airram? what kind of CIA? would a cai with a k&n filter still restict? thanks
If your in the market for an intake I suggest any intake that removes the factory "RESONATOR" which is in fact an intake "MUFFLER". So I feel the best systems will be complete tube style systems that start at the throttle body and place the cone style filter as far forward the passengers side wheel well in order to take advantage of the coolest air possible. The best systems will offer the largest possible ID from filter to throttle body.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

AIR RAM:

What is the part number for the Air Ram filter in those tests? Those look like some nice gains. Does that setup cost gas mileage too?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by ivaskaj
AIR RAM:

What is the part number for the Air Ram filter in those tests? Those look like some nice gains. Does that setup cost gas mileage too?
We no longer build the AIR RAM INDUCTION SYSTEMS... and YES the AIR RAM was arguably the best intake for the 3rd Gen Ram... we still have MANY die hard AIR RAM owners who take names and kick *** at the track with our systems. We stopped building them over a year ago prior to my 2nd deployment to Iraq. We just could not keep up with demand and the business took another path that did not have time/space/racecourses to continue the AIR RAM INDUCTION SYSTEMS....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
~RAM~
Amateur

Originally Posted by AIR RAM
The K&N drop in filter is DYNO PROVEN to cost you a 4-5RWHP LOSS... Why I don't know, but it is the case with our 3rd Gen Rams. I too have used K&N drop in filters for years and they have all made an improvement up till I tested them on my 3rd Gen Ram... And its NOT only my Ram that has experienced the loss... its a widely known issue with the K&N Drop ins and the 3rd Gen Rams.

BUT you do get to reuse the filter for the life of the vehicle... so if your NOT in the market for a true Cold Air Induction System then the K&N Drop in may be a worth while mod... But I think you would be better off with the Factory replacement filter.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
This is just the drop in filter correct?
not a full cai right? the k&n cai gains power or is it a piece of ****? excuse my language.. would like 2 kno..

Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

hmmmmm.................

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by ~RAM~
This is just the drop in filter correct?
not a full cai right? the k&n cai gains power or is it a piece of ****? excuse my language.. would like 2 kno..
I thought the question was about our AIR RAM INDUCTION SYSTEM compaired in the test results.... It is a FULL LENGTH 4" Inner Diameter Induction system, NOT a drop in filter.

Here are a few pictures of our AIR RAM INDUCTION SYSTEM... (Fully Insulated from under hood temperatures.)

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 PM
~RAM~
Amateur

no the first question was dude sayin put a k&n drop in filter an u said it causes the loss of power, thats jus the drop in to the stock intake right? not a full k&n cold air intake.. from the throttle body..
these are decent intakes right? the fipk..

Quick Reply: 4.7 ltr V8..k&n air filter???