3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 ltr V8..k&n air filter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 PM
bpate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 ltr V8..k&n air filter???

ok i've looked and searched for a topic but I haven't found one this specific.

Should I buy a K&N air filter for an 05 ram 4.7ltr v8?

I've always purchased one for every vehicle I've every owned and they've always helped but I haven't found any specific info on one for a ram yet. Has anyone here noticed any difference?

Old 09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I have an '08 4.7 and put the K&N stock replacement in the 2nd day I had it. I have always had good luck with them. I did not have my Ram long enough to notice mpg improvement, but my wife's Suburban showed a 1 mpg increase. Not too shabby.............

Old 09-28-2008, 10:41 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bpate
ok i've looked and searched for a topic but I haven't found one this specific.

Should I buy a K&N air filter for an 05 ram 4.7ltr v8?

I've always purchased one for every vehicle I've every owned and they've always helped but I haven't found any specific info on one for a ram yet. Has anyone here noticed any difference?
The K&N drop in filter is DYNO PROVEN to cost you a 4-5RWHP LOSS... Why I don't know, but it is the case with our 3rd Gen Rams. I too have used K&N drop in filters for years and they have all made an improvement up till I tested them on my 3rd Gen Ram... And its NOT only my Ram that has experienced the loss... its a widely known issue with the K&N Drop ins and the 3rd Gen Rams.

BUT you do get to reuse the filter for the life of the vehicle... so if your NOT in the market for a true Cold Air Induction System then the K&N Drop in may be a worth while mod... But I think you would be better off with the Factory replacement filter.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 AM
bpate

Hmmmmm....that's something to think about. I think I'll give it a week or so and check the milage and then I might get one. my brother works at AutoZone part time so I can get 20% off anything I need.

That is very odd for it to hurt the performance. On my previous explorer I gained 2 mpg after installing the K&N. I'm averaging anywhere from 16 - 15.5 mpg right now so spending $40 on the filter won't hurt me too bad. I'm not worried about that small of a hp loss because I don't tow anything and I'm not into speeding. I drive slower than my grandma.

Anyways, thanks for you comments!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Is there documentation regarding the hp loss? That just does not sound correct to me. How can a free flow filter rob horsepower?

Old 09-29-2008, 03:34 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by rssjib
Is there documentation regarding the hp loss? That just does not sound correct to me. How can a free flow filter rob horsepower?
If it don't flow any free'r then the stock filter then it does not matter what "They" call it...> Just because they call it a "Free Flowing" filter does not mean it flows more then stock... YES I agree, IT SHOULD... but they dont in this case.

I have personally seen them on the DYNO's and have documented this "novelty" on my 2002 4.7L which is basically the same all the way up to 2007... In my opinion it just does not flow as well as the stock paper filter. If you visit more seasoned Forums with larger 3rd Gen Ram groups you will find all the documentation you would ever need. I do suggest you visit D.O.D.G.E.T.A.L.K.C.O.M and do a search. This is common knowledge among most 3rd Gen Ram owners.

I do have a G-Tech Pro comp print out someplace that shows the loss... One thing about the G-Tech Pro Comp was it was very consistent... So if you did not change anything they you would run the same every time... until you changed something then it would show the difference CONSISTENTLY. I will see if I can dig it up.

FYI, I have been around the 3rd Gen Rams specializing with the 4.7L since 2002... If they worked I would tell you they worked. I have NOTHING to gain by saying the K&N is good for a 4-5 HP loss on your 3rd Gen Ram.... but them are just the facts.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 09-29-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

Below are the readings done on my 2002 Quad Cab 4.7L at the time was fairly stock. We did a test of 3 runs each and used the best of each one. The test between the AIR RAM & K&N where all done on the same day same location. The Initial stock run was taken a couple days before hand... These results are nearly dead on consistent with DYNO readings.

STOCK - BLACK
AIR RAM - GREEN
K&N DROP IN - RED

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 09-29-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
soccerman002
Amateur

I'm looking to pick up a K&N filter for my '08, which has a drastically different 4.7L than the earlier 3rd gen Rams. I did see on Dodge Talk where quite a few people noticed mpg decreases in the earlier 3rd gen models, but didn't see anything about the '08's. Hmmmm, guess I'll wait and see.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
bpate

as i said i'm not concerned with a little hp loss but if the mpg is not going to improve then it's a waste of money!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM
soccerman002
Amateur

What was the condition of the K&N filter that you tested? Was it just cleaned & oiled, over oiled perhaps, really dirty, etc.? Was the stock filter brand new? I know you've got a meter that is showing the HP loss, but if the filter is suppose to flow more, how could it do more harm than good? Not saying your results aren't valid, just doesn't make any sense.

Quick Reply: 4.7 ltr V8..k&n air filter???