3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 PM
devildg84
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem?

so i have been noticing the transmission on my 06 qc has been acting weird for the past 10000 miles or so but i took it to the dealer and they couldnt duplicate the problem, but for the past couple weeks, when i go to pull out of my parking spot in the morning or after it sits for a little while it seems like the truck isnt fully shifted into drive bc when i pull out it revs up higher then normal to till it gets moving. i always back into my parking spot at my apt bc its easier to pull straight out, but it just seems like its not fully shifted into gear when i go to take off, and sometimes it shifts like weird going up hill, like it double shifts where the truck jerks forward twice fast. any suggestions? its got almost 40000 miles on it and i have had the trans fluid flushed, the fluid level is good the rear end fluid was done at like 36000 miles, i dont want to take it into the dealer and have them charge me the $100 to look at it and tell me there is nothing wrong, and that they cant duplicate it again. is there something that i can tell them to look at? thanks for the help.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is all OK once the engine and trans warms up?

If so, its normal. It takes a little while for the trans fluid to pump up.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
KickGas

Funny, mine has been doing the same thing for the last 4 days... I back mine out. Once it's done it once, its good for the day.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

I see that you changed the tranny fluid 4000 miles ago and you stated you have had the problem for the last 10,000, but do you know what they used. The problem seems common, but if the dealer cannot find anything wrong and you noticed a change in performance, I would upgrade the ATF. There is a large following of Royal Purple and Amsoil. I changed to Amsoil ATF at 40,000 and my truck seems to shift smoother when cold and at operating tempiture. It is hard to say if it really made a difference as I completed the full 30,000 service inaddition to upgrading the front brakes. I guess it should run stronger and smoother.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:13 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

My Dodge when I first did it had some problem, but kinda the opposite of what you have. I could back out of a place, and then when I put it into drive, it had NO power at all. I would hammer it, and had like no response. Maybe 3000 rpm by the end of the street. Shut it off and it wouldn't do it again.
But one thing that my family has noticed, is that the Chrysler/Dodge isn't the best at spotting problems. My grandparents took their Jeep to the local Dodge/Chrysler, and after being there for several weeks and several hundred miles, they could never find a problem. Grandparents got it back, and then it acted up again.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 AM
devildg84
Professional

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I see that you changed the tranny fluid 4000 miles ago and you stated you have had the problem for the last 10,000, but do you know what they used. The problem seems common, but if the dealer cannot find anything wrong and you noticed a change in performance, I would upgrade the ATF. There is a large following of Royal Purple and Amsoil. I changed to Amsoil ATF at 40,000 and my truck seems to shift smoother when cold and at operating tempiture. It is hard to say if it really made a difference as I completed the full 30,000 service inaddition to upgrading the front brakes. I guess it should run stronger and smoother.
they did the trans fluid at the dealer at like 30000 when i had it in for a recall on the trans cooler filter, then at 36000 i had the rearend done with royal purple

Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
devildg84
Professional

okay so it did it again and this time it felt like if i had a manual trans... and you rev up the engine and you ride the clutch where it doesnt grab fully, then i got to the stop light and felt it jerk 2 times while i was stopped... guess i need to take it in lol

Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM
devildg84
Professional

So after the dealer had the truck for 2 days and taking it home they finally found out that the torque converter was going out, so i get to pick it up today and bring it back in on tuesday when the parts come in for another 2 days... thank god they give me a rental. you wouldnt think i should have this problem with only 40000 miles.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Rizzo20
Rookie

My '05 has been doing this for about 10k miles as well. I've had it in 3 times. 2 Different dealers tell me " It's working as intended" "the delay is natural". Natural my azz, it's like I have a stick shift and I'm slipping the clutch for 10 seconds with the tach sittin' at 3500 rpm. One time I was so pizzed off I put the accelerator to the floor taching all the way over 5k rpm cuz i was hoping to scatter the trans. The only thing that did was throw a service engine light. I took it in 3 days later and they said "no , no sign of trouble here, no stored codes at all". Even the the truck went into I guess.... "limp mode" ? It was stuck in 2nd gear and wouldn't shift out until I restarted the truck. Since Dodge has screwed me, I plan to sell the truck @ 65K miles and buy a horse......

Old 10-04-2008, 05:45 PM
devildg84
Professional

yeah luckaly they got it to do what i was explaning to them had been happening, they had it for over 2 days b4 they could get it to do it... like i said the service guy took it home and then back to work the next day and it worked fine the whole time and right before they were going to call me and tell me they couldnt find anything wrong with it they took it for another drive and it did it... they drove like 75 miles in all b4 they got it to do it. and used a quarter tank of gas too might i add lol

Quick Reply: transmission problem?