3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel with audio controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
itsallaboutthehemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel with audio controls

I just moved the steering wheel with audio controls from my 1500 to my 2500 but the audio controls are not working. I also moved the stereos so this should not be the issue. The 2500 seems to have the wiring for every other option and the steering wheel plugged right in just as it came out of the 1500. Dose any one know how these audio controls work or what else I may need to transfer to get them to work in the 2500?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

I don't really know about that, but I was kinda wondering about doing that. Seeing as how these trucks have only some, I believe just Laramie's that have those, do they have something in the wiring? I personally have never taken a steering wheel off, so I don't know how the harnesses or anything like that contained in it would work, but is there something that didn't fit up with anything else? Or maybe it's something further along in the truck's wiring. Something that isn't connected, or something else like that. Just as my grandpa has the Laramie, with the split window. He has where the button would fit in for the power split window, but it doesn't operate, because his truck doesn't have it. So like a basic template or something for the trucks. All have the wires, but few have them connected through to the stereo. But I've never messed with that before, so I don't really know.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the clockspring for missing pins where everything plugs in. This article might explain it a little better: http://www.wjjeeps.com/steering_sw.htm

Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
itsallaboutthehemi

Thanks, I will try switching the harnesses tonight.

The wheel was on a SLT with the upgrade. It was an option when buying the truck. I also mover the factory fog lights and this was a plug and play operation. The 2500 quad cab also has the wiring for the airbag shut off switch that comes in the standard cab. That is why it seemed funny to me that the stereo harness may be different. There are 16 wires that plug into the back of the 1500 stereo and only 15 that plug into the 2500.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its not the harness, its the clockspring around the steering shaft that might be missing the pins. The harness will still plug into it, just not connect. If the pins are missing out of the clcokspring, you will have to replace it. You want to look at the bottom of it in the second pic in the ebay ad. There are 2 different part nos. for with certain options and for base model.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...2em118Q2el1247

Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
tforce17

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I've been looking for a steering wheel with the audio controls to put on my truck but havent had any luck... anyone know where I could find one?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Jetpig
Professional

TForce17
I have one I will let go. $17,995 and its yours!
Oh yea, you can have the rest of the truck too. Can't even get gas in my end of the woods.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM
itsallaboutthehemi

Well it’s not the clock spring. I even moved the one from the 2500 to the 1500 for testing and it worked on the 1500. I did notice that the connector on the 1500 has 6 wires and the 2500 only had 4 so it looks like the harness to me. The trouble is the harness looks like it ties into the dash harness and I would have to completely disassemble the dash to get it out. If I knew where these wires ran to I would just run them my self.

On another note, my air bag light is on now. Anyone know how to reset this?

Thanks again.

Last edited by itsallaboutthehemi; 10-01-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 PM
sregor13
Default Steering Wheel Audio Controls?

Not sure if its true. It has been said that an Update to Starscan may be needed or something. Don't ask the Service Desk guy. Find the Shop and ask the Mechanic what kind of beer they like. That's what I had to do to get my Seat Belt Beeper shut off. Then about 4 months later I got hit head on and boy I wished I had been buckled up. The point is my replacement Truck came without the Steering Wheel Controls and I would pay alot to have some. The other thing that might help is the Wiring Diagram for one of those IPAC Kits from Crutchfield, that shows you where to tap in for the Sony Interface. It is just one wire. I tapped into it to Control my Sony. If you figure this out I would love to know. Thanks, g

Quick Reply: Steering wheel with audio controls