3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Changing Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
johnmichael
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm nervous about getting bubbles into the system when I'm changing it...I got my parts today, along with 3 qts of Valvoline ATF+4 Full synthetic.

So again, if someone could take a look at my process and let me know if it'll work or not, that'd be awesome...

I wanna just pop the top on the PS reservoir, pull the plugs at the base of the reservoir, drain all the PS fluid out...then simply refill with the new stuff.

Does that sound like it work without leaving bubbles in the lines or reservoir?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I just got done with all freaking 16 spark plugs, and would like to get the PS fluid done today. Thank you!

JM

Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

after I change a steering gear it takes 1 qt to refill the sys There is some fulid in the new gear not much and the res and lines are empty . 1 qt atf+4 if you drain the res and refil it do that 2 or 3 times to get whats left out of the gear. run the whell left to right 2 or 3 times then ck the fulid any air in the systen will bleed it self if the fulid is foamy let it sit it will clear up

Last edited by eaglestorm; 10-11-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
johnmichael

Well, thanks for the replies...I finally just went and did the flush, here's what I did. I have a 1 Pint fluid sucker that I used to drain the PS reservoir. I then refilled it with 1 Pint of new PS fluid. I cranked the truck and rolled the wheel back and forth to mix the old and new PS fluid.

I then did the above steps another 5 times, removing and adding the new fluid each time until I believe most of the fluid in the PS system is now new.

I topped it off, checked the level, and here I am...

Do you guys think that'll be good enough for a PS flush?

JM

Quick Reply: Changing Power Steering Fluid