3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:40 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pyro
The biggest difference in the 06s is the addition of MDS (Multiple Displacement System) to the Hemi that deactivates cylinders while cruising to save fuel. Other than that, most of the changes were cosmetic as far as I know.
Just a reminder, I know you are looking for a 1500 BUT, the MDS option is ONLY available on the 1500 reg cab and quad cab. Not an option on the 1500 MegaCab and 2500 & 3500.

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:58 PM
harleyguy03
|

Does the MDS system actually result in increased gas milage. I've seen mpg's listed for the hemi from 11mpg city all the way up to 19mpg on the hwy. My Tundra got 13 to 14mpg in town and about 19.5 to 20mpg on the hwy if cruised at 65mph (2000rpm)

Old 10-09-2008 | 10:03 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

I does improve mileage if you're cruising between 55 and 65mph. 70mph+ the MDS often disengages because the computer feels it needs all 8 cylinders. It can't hurt to have, MDS has been a pretty reliable feature, but if you put an aftermarket exhaust on, you can get the dreaded MDS drone. Otherwise, it's completely unnoticable except for the slight increase in mileage.

Old 10-10-2008 | 08:46 AM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Default Reliability of DODGE trucks...

My 2000 Dakota (yeah I know, not the RAM or a HEMI) with the 4.7 in it.. I bought it new with 3 miles on it... I put 174,000 miles on it when I traded it (because gas prices were getting high - then $1.75/gallon -geesh I'd give my right leg for those prices now!!!)...

I put brakes, a set of U joints, oil changes, and 1 tune up (yeah 1, at 125,000 miles, and no it was not missing, or running poorly)... Several sets of tires of course (maybe 3 or 4?).

So because of this, when I found myself needing a truck again, I went Dodge. Now with my 2500 HD, and the HEMI... it just puts a smile on my face to turn the key (um, these are not gas sippers, I get about 12-15 mpg in my 2500, a little heavier than the stock 1500s though).

I try not to get into the brand game... But I am sure most of us here would be happy if you went with a RAM.

Old 10-11-2008 | 10:17 AM
harleyguy03
|

Thanks guys for the replys to my post. I didn't get a chance to get back here last night (Friday) as I had to go to a "HOG" meeting. Thats hog as in Harley Owners Group". I appreciate your input. I belong to a number of different types of forums and I have to say they are a great way to communcate with fellow enthusiats. I'm looking forward to contributing on a regular basis all I have to do now is actually get a Ram. I have always liked the Dodge Ram styling the best. and what can you say about the legendary "HEMI". For me there is no other consideration than a "Hemi" when it comes to a Dodge Truck. Right now it's just a matter of finding the right deal for me. I'm continuing to do research on the Dodges and on the current market. I have been primarily looking at QCs but I'm also going to look into regular cabs also. Speaking of the current market, there is so much doom and gloom regarding the world financial crisis It make a person wary of letting go their hard earned cash. See you later.

Quick Reply: New guy needs advice