3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:30 PM
harleyguy03
|
Default New guy needs advice

Hello all.
I am hoping to join the ranks of proud Dodge Ram owners in the near future. I am a former Toyota Tundra owner (05 4x4TRD access cab 4.7V8). about 5 months ago I let my Leased Tundra go back to Toyota. With market conditions as they are I felt I could do better than the buyout that was offered me. At any rate I have been looking almost exclusively at Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4s. I feel right now with the bottom falling out of the pickup truck market the Dodge Ram is the best value, both new and used due largely to the heavy discounts being given new vehicles which is negatively affecting the used market values. Regarding used Rams between 2003 and 2007. Right now I have my eye on an extra clean 03 hemi QC with 60,000 miles. As a matter of fact I am seeing a lot of Rams for sale here in NE Ohio with between 50,000 and 60,000 mi. Which is making me wonder wether at that mileage Ram owners looking to unload their trucks before trouble starts setting in. I'm not real familiar with the reliabilty of Dodge trucks. I figure it all depends on how the vehicle was taken care of. Can you point to any particular areas I should pay attention to regarding chronic trouble spots. Should I possibly focus my efforts on...say 06 and later I know from research that there were substantial upgrades in 06. Maybe you guys can help me out with a little input here, Thanks.

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:48 PM
sos
All Star

Welcome, and hopefully you will buy one! I think the reasons you see so many trucks on the market are 1) The price of gas 2) The warranties on these are about to or have expired and 3) Some people trade in every X number of years. As you have probably seen, they changed the body style in 06 slightly - specifically the headlights and front fenders, and the rear taillights. It depends which style you like which you should look at. I would also recommend looking at NEW 08's, since they have a lifetime powertrain warranty (which is non-transferable and is not available on any used one) and they want to unload them since the new 09's are quickly coming. People around here have spoken of 50% off sticker price. I'm sure no matter what you get you will be happy. I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota before I bought mine, and I was overall happy with that. It was just getting on in age and high in mileage, and the typical repairs for older vehicles were coming quickly (brakes, AC, power steering, etc).

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:48 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

First off let me say welcome to DF.

My last Ram had 140000 ('98 2500HD QC 4x4 long box) and it was 10 years old when I traded for my '07 2500HD 4x4 MegaCab. I plan on keeping this truck for at least 10 years. I know of many an '03 -'05 owners with 100000 to 175000 miles on their Hemis. So, to answer your question, I know of no reason, other than some folks like to trade more often, for you to be concerned with a Hemi Ram with 60K on it.

Would recommend, as with any used car/truck, get a carfax report before purchasing.

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:55 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

The biggest difference in the 06s is the addition of MDS (Multiple Displacement System) to the Hemi that deactivates cylinders while cruising to save fuel. Other than that, most of the changes were cosmetic as far as I know.

60,000 miles is not the unload point for Rams, I'd bet the reason you're seeing a lot of it (we are in Florida too) is the fact that 02-05 Ram owners were trading in for new 08s due to the discounts or because they got tired of footing the fuel bill. The most common issues I can think of off the top of my head (others may chime in) are transmission related (uncommon problem, but the transmission is usually where something goes wrong when it does), power steering problems, ball and U joints going bad, plastic dash cracking, and a few minor electrical issues, such as the throttle position sensor going bad.

That said, my 02 Ram has 105k miles on it, and so far I've had no major problems with it. Everything that has gone bad has been very minor (brake light strip burnt out) or normal wear and tear items (brake rotors etc.)

Every truck brand out there has their problems, and the Ram is no exception, but it is a solid truck. The hemi is a great engine, and it also get better fuel economy than the 4.7L , and more power to boot. Like you said, a lot of it depends on how well taken care of the truck was, so make sure you check all the common sense items and buy from a reputable seller.

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:08 PM
harleyguy03
|

Thanks guys, wasn't sure how a former Tundra owner would be treated around here many people have a grudge against Toyota. I only had the Tundra for 3 years but the truck I had before that I had for 15 years and it was a Toyota also. Toyota's are no less prone to problems however than any other vehicle. Things wear out. For the looooong haul, although I don't know how long that will be since I'm 61, I know I should get something with low mileage. And your right about the lifetime power train warranty, that caught my attention right away. Some people are really hurting right now and may be willing to let their trucks go really cheap. I was at a local dealer last Saturday and the salesman told me he hadn't sold a truck since last winter and that people trading in their Ram's were being offered $2k to $3k under book trade in value. he also told me that many of the truck trade ins are being sent to auction and are comming back unsold! I felt that was pretty good info to use in my search for a good deal on a used Ram. On the other hand I feel bad for anyone trying to sell a truck or suv right now. I've been there.

Last edited by harleyguy03; 10-09-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-09-2008 | 09:12 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

My 05 is for sale, NW Ohio, PM me if interested. 33K miles.

MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Good luck with your search. You won't be disappointed with the Hemi Ram.

Pyro
I Beat Tetris

Originally Posted by harleyguy03
Thanks guys, wasn't sure how a former Tundra owner would be treated around here many people have a grudge against Toyota.
We don't hold grudges on people who have seen the light

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:18 PM
harleyguy03
|

Originally Posted by Pyro
We don't hold grudges on people who have seen the light
Hallelujah!! I think I've found a new home.

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:38 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

My work truck is a 03 Ram QC with the 5.9L V8 and it has 51k miles on it. I know the service history but it is a great pickup. Only issue was the vacuum canister had a leak and was easily replaced. Good Luck

Quick Reply: New guy needs advice