3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
deadof_knight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK , at curb idle its 45lbs after warm up cold start its like 65-70 . it never falls below 45.... thats good or bad I know the oil pan is spotless took it off wiped it out and put it back on cleaning the pick up screen as well. I had some of the gunk in a few places but nothing so far has been clogged up. Does any one have a schematic of the oil routing.I figured 10-20 lbs at idle personally. when i pulled the left bank valve cover off every thing is gettting oil but it has that hydraulic like its a loose rocker sound until its good and warm ...My tensioners are working all though Im on the far end of the scale of almost having to replace the timming chains. right bank is all quiet. I feel better with the oil pressure it just seems a lil bit high too me any ideas ?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

High is good for an OHC engine. Keeps oil up to the cams.
You may have some weak lash adjusters causing a slight tick if it's not a small exhaust leak at the manifold.
I'm guessing this is a 4.7 since you didn't specify?

Last edited by lxman1; 10-18-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 AM
RailroadMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did both.

For the first 1000+ miles, it worked like the idiot light - and was either full on or full off.

One day it started working like its supposed to - moves up or down with RPMs.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:15 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is how it was explained to me by a mechanic(weather its right or wrong i don't know but it makes sense to me).back in the 70's or 80's oil presser gauges used to go up and down with the r.p.m's of the engine.but when the oil was getting pretty thin.(about the time to change it)And the engine went down to idle,The gauge read alomst nothing.People started to worry and they would bring there vehicles into either the steelership or another garage and get ripped on even more.So inturn all the major auto builders were getting alot of complaints about this. About the mid 80's the major auto builders started putting a diode or a resister in the gauge that would hold the gauge at what usually is the highest reading for that time that the engine is running.So this time the gauge could read higher or lower than the next time you start your truck.anyway that being said,in actuality the oil pressure gauge acts like an idiot light.when you got a reading,you have oil pressure.but if it all of the sudden drops to nothing,you got nothing.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine does not, It goes to just over 1/2 way when cold at an idle.
As the oil warms up, it will drop. At operating temp, it reads about 1/4" below 1/2. rev it up and it goes back to 1/4" above 1/2 way. Just like it should.
Ford uses a dummy gauge. If more than 7psi, it reads almost 3/4.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine doesn't move at all....it goes up to a little after half way and pretty much stays there all the time.thats why i asked a couple of mechanics about that.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure