3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil filter anti-drainback valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM
ryland
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter anti-drainback valve?

So I'm no expert when it comes to oil filters but I have always heard that some filters like fram have a cardboard anti drainback valve and therefor people always say they suck. Its my understanding that the purpose of such a valve is to ensure that when you start your engine there is oil in the filter ready to go out to your engine. This makes sure that your engine always has oil instead of running for a few seconds with no oil. So my question is on our trucks why would it matter if the anti drainback valve sucked or wasent even there? The oil filter is mounted facing down, I can see how it would matter if the filter was facing up or sideways. what do you guys think??

Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 PM
deadof_knight

I think its just standard equipment on any filter these days

Old 10-18-2008, 12:14 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It is called the siphoning effect.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Jeepis
Rookie

ryland, I thought the same exact thing. Our oil filters are tilted down, so no matter what, there is some oil in the thing when you shut the motor off. I think the anti drainback valves are more important in situations where the oil filter is mounted sideways, or where the oil filter is screwed on with the end pointed up. Two quick examples are my 2004 Rubicon (filter screws into the side of the block) and late 80's Mercedes E-Class 6 cylinder engines, where believe it or not, the oil filter screws down on top of the block. You can imagine the mess when you spin the filter off...

Unfortunately, Toyota and Chevy have us beat in the oil filter design category, in those, you spin the filter on from underneath the motor, and the filter spins on straight up, and not angled in any way.

Despite our filters being angled down, I would still buy a quality filter like a Wix not just for the anti drainback valve, but for the quality media and construction. I ran the Frams for years, then I cut one open. I won't say more than that, but if you ever have some spare time, cut one open, and you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: oil filter anti-drainback valve?