3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How are the 07/08 RAm 1500's holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are the 07/08 RAm 1500's holding up?

HI everyone,
After much hesitation, I think I am going to make the leap for a new truck. After thinking in a serious fashion, I realized that the 2500 was way more truck than I will need, so a 1500 should do. With the price of the 08 left over Rams, you can't go wrong, unless you get a lemon truck. So with that in mind, what types of issue are common with the 08 1500's? I have read two recent posts about trucks being in the shop often, and they can't fix them. Does a lemon seem to be rare with the 1500's?
What can the 1500 tow? And in general is everyone happy with their choice?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Eh, i'm still up in the air about my truck after owning it since new last november...the quality control just isn't there. I mean it's the best looking truck on the road IMO, but when you can't align the cab to the bed correctly from the factory you know there's going to be issues. The list goes on...let's just say it fell short of my expectations especially with this being my first brand new vehicle.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 AM
TheBaker
Professional

My dad bought me and 08 ram for my first truck. I'm only 16 and he put trust in me. Anyway, he got jealous of my truck, 08 QC Hemi 2wd and traded in his chevy for one of his own. Only he got 4wd because we have a boat that needs to be towed. Now I have driven the boat a few times, but I couldn't tell you specifics about towing and how it handles. But my dad, he could not have been happier in his switch. He says it is so much easier to handle. With the hemi, it's almost hard to tell we dragged a 24 foot ski boat for 2 hours. I love our trucks, we have not had problems with either of our trucks yet. Both around 5k miles, and at least 1k miles of towing with my dads and it's been great. Hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
craig4465
Rookie

I bought mine 2 months ago and have 2k on the odometer, so far i have had no problems. i also have the bed not lining up with the cab issue. it's not real bad but its more than it should be . mine is off about a 1/2" on the drivers side bed. it looks to me like they put to short of a support in it or the holes are drilled off. i thought about going to the dealer and let them take a look at it. fit and finish in the interior is fine and overall i like the truck so far. cant go wrong with the price on an 08.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 AM
TEDDYCHK
Default drivers side door leaks at the car wash

As the title says...when I go through the car wash, the door seal on the drivers side leaks water. When I get home from Iraq I will take it in and get them to resolve the problem. Has 1700 miles on it and that is the only issue so far.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:25 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

3800 miles and no problems. A Hemi with 20" wheels and 3.92 gears can tow 9100lbs. I have towed about 7500 lbs with no problems. The
Hemi pulls really good.

Last edited by lxman1; 10-23-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:23 AM
chard222

I've had mine for 5 months with 9000 miles on it. Some things to note: The throttle learns your driving style, or so it would seem. If you jack rabbit start alot, your gas pedal becomes more sensitive, and if you roll off the line alot, your pedal seems to be non responsive. This is just IMO.
I switched to synthetic on the first oil change and saw a significant jump in mileage. However, the hemi is rough on the oil. I am just passing 3K on the second synthetic change and this oil is supposed to be good for 9K.
I did the air intake upgrade with little or no performance gain but it sounds way meaner and it picks up the EGR valve chatter that sounds like an exhaust leak - I guess, in essence, that is what an EGR does, leaks exhaust back to the intake.
I installed a 50HD Flowmaster single in, single out that added a modest amount of rumble.
I installed a SC tuner - this was a good move IMO.
08 QC 4X4 5.7

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Hemi #643

I am a 23K and no problems on the 07. This is my third Ram and by far the best I have had. Just a quick question for chard222. Why did you go with synthetic oil so early in the engine break-in period? Assuming that your first oil change was at 3-5k, your rings and valves didn't have a change to completly seat? This can cause problems with oil consumption in the future...

Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

I have an 08 Quad Cab 4X4 w/ Hemi. Bought it on 1-10-08 and have almost 37,000 on it already. I had an issue and still do (although not near as bad ) with wind coming across the roof line and catching the edge of the door and actually pushing it therefore breaking the seal and allowing air in. Dodge did adjust one of them and I did the other one ( front doors only ). Now it is just a very slight annoyance when there are high crosswinds. I can live with it. Another issue I have had, that has been corrected is the chrome on the grill bubbling. The third one was the charm and has been in the truck for 8 months now. I have had a problem with the idle speed being a little low and 3 different dealers in different states could find no problems. The last dealer did replace the EGR valve but this didnt correct the problem. I installed a Cortex tuner and it now idles at about 680-700 RPMs. This issue has never affected the performance of the truck adversly. I would recommend Cortex to anyone wanting a noticable gain in performance from the Hemi with no other mods other than a K&N filter. The Performance tune and adjusted shift points make a hell of a difference. Also adjusted the rev limiter. All said, I would buy another Dodge Truck ( 09 Hemi sometime next year hopefully ) in a minute. Im very pleased with the way it rides and handles. Every automaker is having issues with their products. BUY A HEMI ! LOVE MINE !

Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Scorpio_08_HEMI
Rookie

Its a HEMI not a Honda and I keep my foot in it.

Quick Reply: How are the 07/08 RAm 1500's holding up?