3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are Jeeps better then Dodge???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM
DodgeCowboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Are Jeeps better then Dodge???

Ok, what can a jeep do off road that a ram can’t? I know they are shorter and smaller which helps with tight turns and such but how much difference is there between the two?

Basically I want to know if I can go where jeeps can go.

what do i have to wach out for?

Last edited by DodgeCowboy; 10-28-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM
TooFastForLove
Rookie

as long as your Ram doesnt have a lowering kit on it, and you watch your pumpkin... yes, you'd be able to cross that.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

from the looks of it that wrangler has open diffs front and rear as well as fairly small tires. as long as the trails arent tight and have sharp turns you can go anywhere that wrangler has. if you have LSD and some normal sized tires (33s), you would have to be pulling him out and around stuff. have no fear of off-road just be careful and dont let anyone talk you into anything you dont feal comfortable doing. also take along a 30' 20-30000lbs tow strap in case.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Exclamation

As long as you can avoid the boulders like the ones to the left of center you can navigate it. The front or rear pumpkins would get hung up on something like that. Just remember you got a 140 inches between the wheels. That means you have to watch the crest of knolls and rocks.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can go through there fine in your ram, but not your corvette. just go slow and easy. always take 2 vehicles, tow strap, spare tire, jack, basic survival gear for cold weather and i always take a chain saw.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
DodgeCowboy

Thanks guys. I'll take it slow. I live in maryland and we don't have a lot of places to go off road. if anyone knows of some where to go let me know.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll cross that easy, but where the Jeep has it all over you is not only it's shorter wheelbase, but it's vastly superior angles of ascent and departure, don't know what they are, Google it...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

where in md r u out of?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Ok, what can a jeep do off road that a ram can’t? I know they are shorter and smaller which helps with tight turns and such but how much difference is there between the two?

Basically I want to know if I can go where jeeps can go.

what do i have to wach out for?
There is a night and day difference if you care about not beating up the Ram.
The Ram would have to be lifted about 4" and have 35" tires to have close to the same breakover angle. Chop off about a foot off the front end and about a foot off the back end (two feet if it is a long bed) to have close to the same approach and departure angle. Oh, and eliminate about 1,500 to 2,000, depending if it is a 1500 or 2500, to match the weight of the Jeep. If you have a 2002 or newer 1500 then you will also have to toss the front I.F.S. and convert to a solid front axle, for strength and durability reasons.

Did you mean a Jeep Wrangler? If so, then see above. If you meant; a Jeep Commander, Jeep Grand Cherokee ('05-present), Jeep Liberty, or Jeep Patriot, then a Ram ('02-present 1500) would be equal to a Jeep.

Last edited by Powerubi Wacon; 10-30-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 PM
galvatron
Amateur

jeep vs fullsize ram.......
ok im not gonna bash the ram or promote the jeep cuz i own both. but in stock trim both vehicles are capable off road. as long as your not trying to follow a heavily modified jeep jk/tj/yj/cj etc you should be fine. it may take some more effort and caution to clear the same obstacles but it can be done. now your truck against even a slightly modified jeep, with a minor lift and or larger tires you might get in trouble fast.
a lot of people will bash the ifs and im not goin to argue with them but with proper spotting and good line choices they do perform well.
Ive led dozens of stocker 4 wheelin runs in upper ma/ct/vt area and had more fun with the stockers than with my trailer queens. Stockers find even the mildest of obstacles to be extremly challenging and rewarding when the make it.
go wheel it, enjoy. look out for body damage there is a LOT of sheetmetal just beggin to be whacked.
go slowly. tread lightly

Quick Reply: Are Jeeps better then Dodge???