3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Keyfob Acting Strange ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SOS, but i was hoping a new car would operate like one. Unfortunately, so far i had nothing but problem with the electronics including the Tire Pressure Monitor.

I was hoping there would be others here that have similar setups and or techs that would possibly have some feedback.

I have looked at some TSBs and i have found these, you guys think these are related ?

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_08-018-07.pdf

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_08-007-08.pdf

Pete

Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepsrock
This is driving me nuts, today i had to wait to lock my truck before i could leave it. This is ridiculous...This only happens after i drive the car for some period of time. I am trying to see how i can prove this ...Its very strange and annoying. Does anyone else here have to wait a bit of time before they can lock their truck ?

Thanks
Pete
Sorry man, but I am laughing at you now. Reminds me of this time a friend of mine and I were sitting in his car with it off while we ate and the electric locks stopped working. This was a protective measure issued on the car. Anyway, I went to get out and could't. I was relying on the the electric lock to open and it did not. My friend laughed and slapped me and said reach over and pull up the lock... LOL

Like it was mentioned above, use the switch that is on the door. If you don't know where it is, when you open the door, it is located on the armrest area of the door towards the front. It looks like one of the window switches. LOL. Sorry again, I couldn't resist.

As far as the FOB not working, 99% of the time it is the battery. Both of my remotes have already done this and by replacing the battery, it fixed both. If you replace the battery and still have the problem, then you will just have to have it reprogrammed. Either way, no big deal on either part.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

I just came back from another dealership and made an appointment for this coming Tuesday, since they cant look at it today bc apparently they don't have Techs on Saturdays.

I showed the service Rep, the TSBs above and he said that even if the truck exhibited the same problems, if the
TSB doesn't cover my year- then it doesn't apply.

So i guess we will see what happens, the problem is its intermittent so its hard to prove.

Pete

Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

The dealer called today and said they replaced the WCM (wireless control module) and it has not solved the problem, which thankfully they seem to be able to replicate.

He wants me to pick up the truck while he discusses the situation with Chrysler engineers in hopes to resolve the situation. I am somewhat reluctant to pick it up, so i will be talking to the service manager with my concerns.

I will keep u all updated.

Pete

Old 11-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Believe it or not it has been two weeks and the ram has still not been fixed. They recognize the problem but cant find a way to solve it.

I called a few days ago and was told to please wait till Mon/Tuesday. I think i have had enough if after this Mon/Tues, if don't get anywhere, i am calling Chrysler and requesting a refund.

What do u guys think ? I am making payments on this truck for a few months now and it has literally spent half of its life with me at service.

Any thoughts ?
Pete

Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

I picked up the Truck this weekend because they said the problem was fixed, funny thing is as i exited the dealership the problem occurred again in front of the service rep.
Regardless i took the truck home to plan out what i am going to do regarding this situation.

For some reason a thought came to my mind telling me to try taking out my Garmin GPS unit. After i removed the unit from the Truck it hasn't performed the problem yet, I wont say the problem is gone because it has only been a day an a half but that's just amazing that this could be the cause.

They said they replaced the WCM (wireless module), i would like to see what they did ? Where is this module located ?

THanks,
Pete

Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Bump...

Old 04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
JohnTM

I have a 2008 1500, Quad 4x4, Slt Bighorn package.

I was having the same problem with my remotes. Most times it worked perfectly, I could pop the locks from easily 100 feet away. Other times, I could stand right next to the truck for 3 minutes and they would never work. It wasn't the battery in the remote, it wasn't any of the other things mentioned in this thread. It seemed to be a completey random, and vexxing problem.

I believe that I finally figured it out about a month ago. There is some sort of interference or current draw when an accessory is plugged into the accessory power plug. Typically I have my cell phone plugged in there for recharging. I've tested this for about a month now, and I can duplicate it with 99% certainty. The only time I ever have a problem with the remote is when the phone is plugged in. Phone not plugged in, remote works perfectly every time.

Please give this a try and report back if your results are similar. Good luck!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

I don't have the Garmin GPS unit anymore, but what i can say is my Magellan unit is plugged in all the time and its never a problem anymore.

It seems to me it was a Garmin interference issue.

Pete

Quick Reply: Keyfob Acting Strange ?