3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Keyfob Acting Strange ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Keyfob Acting Strange ?

The last few days i have been having a hard time locking and unlocking my truck. At first i thought it may be the keyfobs battery , so i measured it using a voltmeter and its 3v+,perfect . Something i noticed is that sometimes when i shake it, i get it to work. I'm not sure if its a coincidence tho.

I have read in other forums that the battery contacts are sometimes loose and cause this issue, but in my case they were soldered perfectly.

Any ideas ? Hopefully this is covered under warranty.

Pete

Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
sos
All Star

Two things:
1) Just because you measure 3 volts on the battery when you're holding it in your hand doesn't mean it has enough power to supply the keyfob. When the fob is drawing current from the battery, the voltage can drop. Also, even if the voltage doesn't drop, it still may not be able to supply the current the keyfob requires. Try a new battery. Walmart near me sells a 3 pack for less than $5.
2) The solder joint on the board may be fine, but you might want to bend the contacts up slightly, because they may not be making good contact with the battery itself. Also, they may have developed some kind of coating on them from moisture or anything else that might have gotten in there accidentally. You can try using a pencil eraser to rub off anything that might be on the contacts.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
yugowego

mine does this as well...cant figure it out, if you hit the fob off something it will start to work, oh well...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

So i decided to use my spare key fob today and after my trip to work the same thing happened ?
It took some time before i could lock the truck, at this point i am kinda confused..

Any thoughts ideas ?

Pete

Old 10-31-2008, 05:06 PM
sos
All Star

Probably just like my truck then - horrible range on the keyfobs. Sometimes I literally have to be standing so close I can touch the truck. It's my only complaint about the truck so far. It's one reason I am hesitant to bother buying the factory remote start. If I have to go outside to start my truck anyway, it defeats the purpose of remote start.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Might want to have that checked. Mine work from pretty far away. Could be an issue with the unit or antenna in the truck.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 AM
sos
All Star

According to the manual: "The RKE system allows you to LOCK or UNLOCK the doors from distances up to about 23ft (7m) using a hand-held RKE radio transmitter."

So figure the truck is nearly 19 feet long, and I'm guessing that the antenna is somewhere in the engine compartment, up to about 5 feet from the front. That means if you are standing at the back of the truck, you are at least 14 feet from the antenna already. So you have about 9 more feet you can stand behind the truck and still meet their definition. Even if you were to assume 23 feet from any point on the truck, that's still horrible. My truck, parked in my parking spot, is more than 23 feet from my house. My aftermarket alarm system/remote starter on my work van works from a 1/4 mile away.

Also, I think interference plays a big part in the RKE in our trucks. I've been out in the middle of the woods and the distance was great, but around my house (a small city), the distance is horrible. If anyone has ever found a way to increase the range, please let me know. I can't believe that the designers thought 23 feet is an acceptable distance.

Last edited by sos; 11-01-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Well guys my problem isn't distance its the fact i cant lock the truck after i drive it for a bit (10-20sec) and i exit it.Not sure if its a keyfob problem or the actual receiver.
Yesterday i took it to the Dealer and they said that the problem "could not be duplicated" yet this happens every time i get out of the car after i drive it a few miles. Maybe i am crazy or something but correct me if i am wrong i should be able to lock my door as soon as i get out without a problem.

Anyone have any advice, this is driving me nuts.
Pete

Old 11-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

This is driving me nuts, today i had to wait to lock my truck before i could leave it. This is ridiculous...This only happens after i drive the car for some period of time. I am trying to see how i can prove this ...Its very strange and annoying. Does anyone else here have to wait a bit of time before they can lock their truck ?

Thanks
Pete

Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM
sos
All Star

You could just hit the electric lock button on the door before you close it. That locks all the doors just like your remote does and sets the alarm if you have the factory one. I know it doesn't solve your problem, but if you're in a rush, it will allow you to keep your truck secured.

Quick Reply: Keyfob Acting Strange ?