3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

alright guys, how does this sound.. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Hemi Firefighter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alright guys, how does this sound.. (pics)

alright.. i started a thread a few days ago about me trading in my mustang for a 1500..

was at a local dealer today and found this..

http://www.gibsontruckworld.com/used...eHistory=true#

cliff notes are:
-5.7 HEMI
-crew cab
-36,000 miles
-dark gray ext.
-dark gray int.
-$14,995

the main and only real thing thats holding me back on this.. is that its a 2 wheel drive, and doesnt have tow package.. so im kina bummed out about that, but really.. where i live (central florida) i never used my 4x4 except when i was messin around in mud with my f150.. so i dont know that i really need it.. although my plans are to lift the truck.. so i dunno..

and about the hitch, i can just get one and throw it on..

but i wanted to see what you guys thought..

they are tryin to only give me 17,000 for my mustang.. i laughed.. so we'll see what happens with that.. otherwise.. i might be drivin a new truck in a few days..

let me know guys.. your opions are going to sway my desiscion..

thank you
-David

Last edited by Hemi Firefighter; 11-01-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM
sos
All Star

For the hitch, you can go to a dealer and buy the part that bolts onto the draw bar that's already on the truck, making it a class IV hitch. It's not that expensive. That price doesn't seem that bad, but I'd make them throw in a good warranty if it doesn't already include it.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:48 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Yea like sos said, it already has a class III hitch it's just tucked under the bumper...the optional reciever bolts to the bottom making it a class IV (it's around $90).

As for the truck i'd get a build sheet from any dodge dealer...that way you know what is or isn't on the truck. Just glancing at the options and pics it says it has captain chairs but it's actually a split bench....little things like that can throw you. For the rams, 4-wheel ABS is also an option while the rears are standard....same goes for basic stuff like a light in the glove box and under the hood (option).

The price isn't bad (you can talk him down) but like I said in the other thread for a little more you can get a brand new 08 with lifetime powertrain. If you buy that used truck and get an extended warranty you'll be paying very close to the same.

Oh and don't trade your stang in bro...they'll never give even close to what it's worth. The best thing to do is sell it private party and then get a truck...even better would be selling private party during the spring when everyone wants a hotrod.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

How about this. You tell me where you live. I paid the exact same on a 2003 Ram 4x4 QC with 79,000 miles on it. That's not even cool.

So if it were me, I'd jump on it since that's a pretty good deal here, but I'm not sure resale values in your area.
As far as the 'Stang, if they offered you 17,000 for it, then it must be new if you want more for it. Not sure what it has, but around here, they aren't worth a whole heck of a lot. 17,000 is about what a dealership sells a brand new '08 V6 for. So a V8 isn't a whole lot more than that.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:19 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

One thing is that it is out of warranty with 36K on the clock. Down here in the Houston area, they were offering Dodge trucks 50% off sticker. That is why I bought mine. So, for example, that same truck was about $19K brand spankin' new. There are a lot of '08s left around here at the dealers. You should call around to some dealerships to see if they are still making those deals. It is late in the year and the 2009's are coming out, so they should be looking to part ways with their inventory. Just my opinion....

Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Hemi Firefighter
Rookie

good points from all of you..

i have mixed emotions on it.. one minute i want to make the trade.. the next minute im like, no i can find a 4x4 and better deal.. i have thought about selling the car private and not sure i wanna wait to sell it, deal with all the crap involved in it, then i also have to pay taxes..

my car was sticker $32,000 and ive put about 5k in mods.. i have ppl lined up to buy my mods off me.. which i am going to end up doing with the trade in value they low bowed me with..

the info about the Hitch reciever was perfect, thank you, thats awesome.. i will deffinately remember that..

i have looked around here and havnt been able to find very many 08's new.. seems like from what they told me, everyone is buying them up.. the other problem with that is i dont have money to make payments.. i need some thing that will even trade.. (fire school full time, no job/income..)

so i dunno.. as far as the warranty issue, and being 36k miles already, the dealer im going through is veryyy reputable and offer (no charge) a bumper to bumper 1 year warranty.. not bad IMO.. they said it covers EVERYTHING... just like your Origional warranty from the dealer.. but about the power train lifetime, i asked him about that and he said it carries over and i still get dodge's lifetime power train..

but thank you guys for all the help.. i can NOT wait to get into one of these man.. im so ready to be back in a truck..

ill keep everyone posted.. -David

Old 11-02-2008, 12:44 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by GTstangB.F.D.M.
good points from all of you..

i have mixed emotions on it.. one minute i want to make the trade.. the next minute im like, no i can find a 4x4 and better deal.. i have thought about selling the car private and not sure i wanna wait to sell it, deal with all the crap involved in it, then i also have to pay taxes..

my car was sticker $32,000 and ive put about 5k in mods.. i have ppl lined up to buy my mods off me.. which i am going to end up doing with the trade in value they low bowed me with..

the info about the Hitch reciever was perfect, thank you, thats awesome.. i will deffinately remember that..

i have looked around here and havnt been able to find very many 08's new.. seems like from what they told me, everyone is buying them up.. the other problem with that is i dont have money to make payments.. i need some thing that will even trade.. (fire school full time, no job/income..)

so i dunno.. as far as the warranty issue, and being 36k miles already, the dealer im going through is veryyy reputable and offer (no charge) a bumper to bumper 1 year warranty.. not bad IMO.. they said it covers EVERYTHING... just like your Origional warranty from the dealer.. but about the power train lifetime, i asked him about that and he said it carries over and i still get dodge's lifetime power train..

but thank you guys for all the help.. i can NOT wait to get into one of these man.. im so ready to be back in a truck..

ill keep everyone posted.. -David
He's either lying or he just doesn't know better...but the lifetime is only for the original owner and does not carry over. Don't fall for it or you'll be disappointed later.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Hemi Firefighter
Rookie

THANK YOU.. veryyyy good to know.. you guys are a huge help in all this..

Old 11-02-2008, 03:53 PM
gaorenst
Rookie

Sorry man that's a rip off you can get a 08 dodge for 50% off sticker. I got my 2008 Dodge Laramie for $21,900 at Tomball dodge outside of Houston, TX and that was with $16,000 off sticker. Guess what I'm saying is you can get a brand new truck for a bit more or the same price.

Quick Reply: alright guys, how does this sound.. (pics)