3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
jimguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default platinum plugs?

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
The guys on here will say use the stock champion cheapies because the hemi doesn't like platinum (09 hemi's come from the factory with platinum) or iridium plugs...but if I was you i'd put in some good plugs. I've never had good luck with bosch plugs but NGK's have never let me down.
Why do hemis not like platinum or iridium plugs? I had a 06 ram hemi , bosch platinum 4 in it run 40,000 miles on them ran great. 07 magnum hemi platinum 2 s in it no problems now 08 ram hemi autolite xp iridium runnin strong so far!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
jimguy
Default hemi coils

Originally Posted by lxman1
This info if from the 08 RAM brochure. (also mentioned above)
The 4.7L has 2 plugs per cylinder. The top ones are copper plugs and need to be changed every 30K miles. The bottom ones are platinum and need to be replaced every 100K miles.

Yes, the Hemi has dual plugs as well, side by side under the coil packs on the 08. Older ones had a coil pack over one plug and a plug wire that ran to another. Not sure when the Hemi plug wires ended. Never made sense to me.

Use copper plugs in the Hemi. You get the best performance and have to change them every 30K anyway, why waste the money on gimmick plugs.
ALL hemis from 06 up had dual coil on plug ignitions with no plug wires.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

This info if from the 08 RAM brochure. (also mentioned above)
The 4.7L has 2 plugs per cylinder. The top ones are copper plugs and need to be changed every 30K miles. The bottom ones are platinum and need to be replaced every 100K miles.

Yes, the Hemi has dual plugs as well, side by side under the coil packs on the 08. Older ones had a coil pack over one plug and a plug wire that ran to another. Not sure when the Hemi plug wires ended. Never made sense to me.

Use copper plugs in the Hemi. You get the best performance and have to change them every 30K anyway, why waste the money on gimmick plugs.
Gimmick? How is using better materials for making spark plugs a gimmick? That's like saying stainless steel or ceramic coated headers are a "gimmick"...or a stainless steel catback is a gimmick. They all last longer due to superior materials used..

Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 PM
morepower29
Professional
Default plugs

Originally Posted by HankL
before spending money on 16 new spark plugs
why not sharpen up the tips of the factory plugs
set new gaps of your choosing
and index their ground strap position
for best growth of the
'flame kernel' ?
plus if you are going to take the time to clean up the plugs every 15k because it won't last as long as new ones. I would much rather go to advance spend the $50, go home and spend and hour doing it once every 30k or so.

alot of guys on here talk about how hard it is to change them. It is not hard at all. It only took me an hour to change all 16. I did get in it and start it and it didn't run for ****. Looked at my edge evolution tuner and it said one cylinder was not getting spark. I left the last coil pack off. I guess because I got excited about getting finished.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I have an '08 4.7 and still cannot see the 16 plugs. I see the 8 in the normal spot, but cannot find the others.....does anyone have a pic they can reference?? I am motor-literate, so I feel retarded about now! LOL

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rssjib
I have an '08 4.7 and still cannot see the 16 plugs. I see the 8 in the normal spot, but cannot find the others.....does anyone have a pic they can reference?? I am motor-literate, so I feel retarded about now! LOL
They're attached to the coils themselves...remove a coil and you'l see what I mean. Here scroll down and look at the pic of the 4.7...you'll see the spark plug on the end of the coil. http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dakota-2008.html

Old 11-08-2008, 02:25 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Gimmick? How is using better materials for making spark plugs a gimmick? That's like saying stainless steel or ceramic coated headers are a "gimmick"...or a stainless steel catback is a gimmick. They all last longer due to superior materials used..
Gimmick as in 2, 3, 4 ground straps. Copper is a better conductor of electricity and will give a hotter spark. The downfall is that they do not last as long as Platinum. Since I am not going to prolong oil changes or other normal maintenance items over what the manual calls for and take a chance on voiding my lifetime powertrain warranty, it is not feasible for me to spend all of that extra money on plugs since I will be changing mine at the recommended 30k mile mark.
There is no power gain with 2,3 or 4 ground straps on the spark plugs. Bosch are junk in my eyes. I had one that the platinum center fell out of and wedged between the cylinder and piston on my dad's 5.0 in his F150. It scarred the cylinder so bad that I had to replace the engine. I will never use them again.
I'll use either the OEM Champion plugs or NGK V-power for the same money. Both are copper plugs.
When you have to change 16 plugs, price and performance matters to me!!

Old 11-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

The HEMI likes Champion spark plugs because they are Made In The U.S.A. or Mexico. Depending on if you get the coppers or the platinums. Stay away from E3 and Autolite and any other plugs from China.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:10 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

ghost is correct 5.7 change all the plugs 09 4.7 have 16 8 on top and 8 on the side stick with oem plugs. all the rest is just an extra cost you dont need
the easy way to change the plugs on a 5.7 (for me I am old and I do this for a living) is I remove the ft tires and inner wheel wells. makes it easy to get to all the plugs and is easer on the back

Last edited by eaglestorm; 11-08-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:43 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Gimmick as in 2, 3, 4 ground straps. Copper is a better conductor of electricity and will give a hotter spark. The downfall is that they do not last as long as Platinum. Since I am not going to prolong oil changes or other normal maintenance items over what the manual calls for and take a chance on voiding my lifetime powertrain warranty, it is not feasible for me to spend all of that extra money on plugs since I will be changing mine at the recommended 30k mile mark.
There is no power gain with 2,3 or 4 ground straps on the spark plugs. Bosch are junk in my eyes. I had one that the platinum center fell out of and wedged between the cylinder and piston on my dad's 5.0 in his F150. It scarred the cylinder so bad that I had to replace the engine. I will never use them again.
I'll use either the OEM Champion plugs or NGK V-power for the same money. Both are copper plugs.
When you have to change 16 plugs, price and performance matters to me!!
Oh yea i'm with ya 100% on that one...i've had problems with both bosch and champs in the past.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs?