3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

turn-down exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really no gas?? The welds turn out so much better and stronger with it though... Oh well to each their own. Personally I prefer my tig welder over the mig though...

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
mmstar23
Champion

say i were to get a Mig welder...how would i bend the pipes to get them to go where i want??

Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by mmstar23
say i were to get a Mig welder...how would i bend the pipes to get them to go where i want??
you would buy pipe that is prebent. they come in straight, 90, 45, maybe even 30s and 60s if you find the right exhaust shop. get something to cut like a sawzall and you're set

Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
really no gas?? The welds turn out so much better and stronger with it though... Oh well to each their own. Personally I prefer my tig welder over the mig though...
na, you don't need gas for light stuff, as long as the wire is flux core. Now if it was big, load bearing work, I'd not use a 110w unit anyway, gas or not.
BTW, I've always wanted to learn TIG, but I've heard its the hardest to learn. I can stick, mig weld and gas (acetylene or mapp) weld & cut, but TIG welds just look so clean!

mmstar, trace the pipe routes on a roll of paper or cardboard and have the shop you buy the pipe from mendrel bend it. I have an advantage there because I have a buddy in Ga. has a shop. But there are so many things you can make or fix with just a little $350, 140A 110W Mig, that it would pay for itself in no time.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

[QUOTE=HammerZ71;1448421]na, you don't need gas for light stuff, as long as the wire is flux core. Now if it was big, load bearing work, I'd not use a 110w unit anyway, gas or not.
BTW, I've always wanted to learn TIG, but I've heard its the hardest to learn. I can stick, mig weld and gas (acetylene or mapp) weld & cut, but TIG welds just look so clean!QUOTE]

If you can gas weld you can tig weld, I like it alot more because I have complete control over the the enire welding process, If I need more amps I just push the peddal down a little more than I had it. Its more of an art form but when you get good at it its by far the best. Right now I've been messing with mine for a few years and have gotten to the point where I can cut a beer can in half and weld it back together good as new...

As for the pipes, you can find them at any auto parts place or you can make your own rig or rent a pipe bender to bend them depending on the type of pipe you use

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by truckin151
Right now I've been messing with mine for a few years and have gotten to the point where I can cut a beer can in half and weld it back together good as new...
that's ridiculous (in a good way). i knew one other guy that could tig that well, and he could tig something above his head left handed with one foot on the pedal and one hanging in the air. taught me how to mig. I could never get the pedal control down for tig, but didn't play with it too much.

damn its been a while since i welded, now i wanna go buy one.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I try to find any reason I can to go out and weld something specially in the winter when its nice and cool out. Sometimes I just grab a few empty cans and see what I can do with them. Upside down is a little tricky though... its not to hard to do under a car/truck though as you just have to rethink how you want to do it...

Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

Well sorry i missed out on the welding conversation. But your welcome on the vid and pics, sorry about the vid you cant really hear anything unless you have a subwoofer on your comp. i have another vid from the outside next to the bed if you would like(but its short i was very low on gas lol)

Old 11-08-2008, 02:15 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounded good on my Boston speaker system with sub

Old 11-09-2008, 11:57 PM
mmstar23
Champion

well it just so happens that i do have a system on my computer lol. i went saturday and they welded in the new muffler with dual turndowns. its cool, but its a little too loud for me and im young. its about as loud inside as it is outside. sounds nice outside, but too damn loud in the cab. probally in a few weeks ill have them put dual tailpipes on.

Quick Reply: turn-down exhaust