3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

$3000 to spend on Performance Mods, does this look good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corsa is drone free in the cab. Its awesome, pricey, but awesome usually costs more. Might want to check with Stu @ Inertia Motorsports for cam and head info. http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/ Bet you could spend 3K easy!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You don't have to get an MDS friendly cam. Actually if it was me geting a cam, I would eliminate the MDS by getting a new cam and non-MDS lifters. It's the lifters that make the mds work. A cam is gonna net you maybe 40hp at max rpms. Only like 10 or so around cruising rpms. Now a head/cam install alone should get you near 100hp increase together. Heads, cam,and exhaust is what I would do only if you can install them yourself because your ganno use up all of that dough!
And the four oil solenoids and oil passages in the block...and tuning. He'll have to address all these issues if he wants to get rid of it...which he didn't say anything about.

Who makes aftermarket heads for the 5.7 anyway, I haven't seen any...although I haven't really looked.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Yeah those article are really going to help him decide... he's looking for experience, not theory.

Cam: If you want a fun streetable truck, then go with a 260 or a sidewinder. For a track truck, look into a 268, crazy jay, or a spartan cam. You can do heads later.

Exhaust: Once you start getting into internal mods, there is no guarantee that a corsa is going to be drone free. Especially if you go duals. Do your cam first and then work the exhaust from there. If you really want to be drone free, leave the stock muff and get a cutout. It will be loud and powerful when you want it, and quiet when you don't. And drone free. You need headers. Period. Long tubes if your state allows them.

Intake: Your going to need more air than that k&n will flow. Look at either a vararam or a ramhammer. Or build something out of 4" pvc if you like that look....

Tuner: You only have one real option for the 08- a Diablo Predator. It's the only one that will allow you to tune a cam (which is essential). SC is for stock trucks with a CAI and a muffler. You're in a new league now.

At tis point, you're well past your 3 grand. Start saving again....

I suggest you check out the performance forum at ********* to get more gear head advice. And don't take theoretical advice from guys that quote chevy articles- they don't know squat about the hemi.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM
chefred112
All Star

These are the bolt-mods you need to get your truck to be a different animal...I won't go into specifics as your research and wants will not be the same as mine.. I built my motor up to perform...and on a budget...and it took me 3 years to get here...I always looked for deals until I was close enough to get the REAL stuff (cam an heads)...

cam
heads
headers
exhaust
e-cutouts
cai
efan
programmer
gears
wideband
shiftkit
tq verter

the only stuff I plan on doing is an ati dampner maybe a valvebody for the tranny..
currently I am the fastest na hemi qc (stock block) in the 1/4, I'm kinda surprised that I am but resaearched and followed alot of guys on the boards mod paths to get where I am now...

hope this helps...fred

Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Man you guys have some awesome answers. I have a feeling if everyone had 10 grand, it would be gone first day, you would never get to so much as touch the money, till it goes into the distributers hands...lol.

I would love to start modding my truck, but its a '08 huge *** QC hemi 2wd, its like pushing a sheet of plywood down the highway, that, or a brick...lol. Say bye bye to the warrenty though. I can't lose my powertrain warrenty, to be fast, but man do I love my Dakota with my 408.

I would shoot some spray, easy, cheap HP.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 PM
chefred112
All Star

here is my "slow" qc at the track...one of my slower times, I like watchn this cuz of the guy standin next to us...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcgjH02xHII

Old 11-09-2008, 06:32 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I dunno...if I was the OP i'd just do full bolt-ons and call it a day. It's a heavy truck and you'll have to dump tons of money into it to make her "fast". If you want speed at a good price get a LS1 f-body...low 13's at 105+ traps bone stock. A 150 shot and some tires will get ya moving.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would shoot chefred112 a PM and talk to him. His **** is fast. And thats what you want. good luck on the truck.

Quick Reply: $3000 to spend on Performance Mods, does this look good?