3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

$3000 to spend on Performance Mods, does this look good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Dodgeram2577
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $3000 to spend on Performance Mods, does this look good?

I have about $3,000 to spend if I want to on Performance Mods for my truck. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC BigHorn 4x2 with a Hemi. I currently have 22" SRT-10 rims with 305/40/22 tires. Tire height w/rims is 31.5ish.

I use 91 Octane gas and will be changing to Royal Purple Oil on my next Oil change.

I am looking to get the following mods for performance only, I am not looking to save gas. I been reading alot of posts and this is what I came up with to help my truck become faster, besides a turbocharger.

I already have a K&N CAI and a SuperChips 3815.

I am planning to get a Corsa Exhaust system.

Getting 4.56 gears, I already have 3.92, with Aurburn or detroit LSD?

Getting new LongTube Headers.

Someone mentioned getting new cam, but what one?

2" leveling kit for the rear.

What about NOS?

I guess my question is whatelse could I get and any advise on what I listed above.

Also, regarding the exhaust and headers, when I get longtube headers, will that allow me to have a True Dual Exhaust? If that is the case, should I buy 2 Corsa exhaust systems? I want an exhaust for performance, but I just HATE the drone in the cab. I heard Corsa does not do this.

Please help a noob out, to give me the most performance possible.

Thanks Everyone !!!!

Last edited by Dodgeram2577; 11-08-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:06 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

if it were me i would take that 3k and the truck and trade it in on a 09 4x4. they are the cats ***. but it sounds like you want to make this a street truck , im no help their. now if you want 4x4 performance thats another story. really nos?????

Old 11-08-2008, 01:49 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

If you are talking about getting a cam, then you need new heads as well. That is where the REAL hp will come from. That would use up your $3K. Or you could do a supercharger. That would give you some push. You could probably get a s/c for around $3K.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:54 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Ok I looked....superchargers run closer to $5K. Sorry! But heads and a cam will add some horse. You have 3.92 gears, so 4.56 should make a little difference. That Corsa exhaust that exits in front of the rear tires is sweet, but expensive. It is pushing around $800 or so. That is a lot for an exhaust, IMO. You can get a nice Magnaflow set up for less than $400. Decisions, decisions.......

Old 11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

Originally Posted by rssjib
Ok I looked....superchargers run closer to $5K. Sorry! But heads and a cam will add some horse. You have 3.92 gears, so 4.56 should make a little difference. That Corsa exhaust that exits in front of the rear tires is sweet, but expensive. It is pushing around $800 or so. That is a lot for an exhaust, IMO. You can get a nice Magnaflow set up for less than $400. Decisions, decisions.......
3k really doesent go to far . also if your going to have some shop do the work there goes half the money

Old 11-08-2008, 03:12 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I dunno where what state you live in but if you have strict smog laws you'll have problems with the long tubes (moving the cats from their factory location is a no no)...even the cam if you live in a **** state like me.

Are you going to do the work yourself? If not that 3k won't go as far as you'd think.

Now that that's out of the way...you'll need a MDS friendly cam (someone with the max specs can chime in) and with any cam install I also recommend at least hardened pushrods...new springs and titanium retainers wouldn't be a bad idea either. The stock heads flow very good so i'd keep them....but while they're off you can get some work done to them and put some bigger valves in if ya want.

I know you have a superchips but i'd personally sell that and get a diablosport predator...with the $200+ you'd get for the SC you'll only be out another $200 for a much better handheld.

I'm not a fan of nitrous but if you get a system make sure you get a wet kit with the proper safety precautions.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:54 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't have to get an MDS friendly cam. Actually if it was me geting a cam, I would eliminate the MDS by getting a new cam and non-MDS lifters. It's the lifters that make the mds work. A cam is gonna net you maybe 40hp at max rpms. Only like 10 or so around cruising rpms. Now a head/cam install alone should get you near 100hp increase together. Heads, cam,and exhaust is what I would do only if you can install them yourself because your ganno use up all of that dough!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM
HEMIslide
Rookie

Are there any issues with adding nitrous and having the superchips installed? I seem to recall that being one of the "no's" on a FAQ section, unless the chip was programmed to work with the nitrous (not sure if superchips is?). Perhaps its a disclaimer-type answer, but it mentioned something causing undue damage (potentially). Just wondering...

-slide

Last edited by HEMIslide; 11-08-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Dodgeram2577
Rookie

Originally Posted by rssjib
Well what has better perfromance, and does the Magnaflow create that drone in the cab? This is one of the main reasons I was looking at the Corsa system cause of the no drone in the cab but if I can save $400 plus, that would be GREAT.

does anyone know?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 PM
morepower29
Professional

I love my magnaflow. I actualy ordered it off ebay with aluminized pipes w/mandrell bends and tips for 225. Went on simple, about 25 mins.

Quick Reply: $3000 to spend on Performance Mods, does this look good?