3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifters and Valves Being Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lifters and Valves Being Replaced

Hey guys! My friends father has a 2006 5.7L Ram TRX-4. All of a sudden, Tuesday when he was leaving work, he heard something in the engine and it went away after he drove it a few miles. I was at the house and when he went to leave to go to the store real quick and I heard a ticking/knocking noise when he started it up. I ran out and had him pop the hood. I thought I heard the noise coming from the engine, specifically the valve cover/head area. My friend took his dad's truck in yesterday and he was told the valves and lifters need to be replaced (under warranty)! The truck only has a bit over 30,000 miles and is well maintained. Is this a common problem at all on the HEMI engines or is it just a random fault in the engine? Just trying to get some more insight for him just in the dealer says something else later.

Thanks!!!

P.S.- Guess the guy at the service desk was trying to be an *** and told him that he had never had a problem with the HEMI's engines (like it was their fault). He told him, "Well, you do know!" and left... Love them service guys!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
jdcovert
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
P.S.- Guess the guy at the service desk was trying to be an *** and told him that he had never had a problem with the HEMI's engines (like it was their fault). He told him, "Well, you do know!" and left... Love them service guys!
Ya, it seems like most service guys are fairly smart, but they have the people skills of a dang boulder. I'd tell him to kiss my ***. But anyways, at 30,000 miles I highly doubt it's his fault! Just a mechanical defect.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:20 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Just heard from the service guy again. Now apparently the oil has also caused the MDS to go bad (also apparently the cause of the other problem as well, even though the oil meets Dodge's M-6395 oil requirement, lol).

Despite all of the bitching from them about the oil, they are replacing everything under warranty. Which would ultimately lead me to conclude that the oil really has nothing to do with it and they are just trying to 1. take the fault off of Dodge (**** happens, just needs to be fixed when it does) and 2. try and make him get the truck serviced there with their apparently far superior oil.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
jram99
Veteran

Ask your friend if his dad uses 5w20 oil. Got the article below from Allpar.com

Oil grades and use. If you have the MDS system, be sure to use 5W20 oil - note that many dealers will use bulk 10W30 or even 10W40, partly out of ignorance and partly because it’s cheaper. You need to use the right oil if you want to keep your engine. Of course if the owner’s manual says something else, follow its advice - but don’t be convinced by a mechanic or oil-change place. Insist on the right grade and if they don’t use it...get a refund and go somewhere else. A technical service bulletin (TSB) - 09-015-04 and 09-013-04 - says: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.” Watch the mechanic pour it in! (This is said to be the real reason BMW provides free oil changes.)
I will only use Mobile 1 supersyn once the engine is broke in.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:26 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like too thick of oil was used to me too.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:02 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

Originally Posted by lxman1
Sounds like too thick of oil was used to me too.

thats what she said....

lol you knew it was coming

Old 11-15-2008, 03:07 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

First off, thank you to whomever moved my thread out of the wrong section! I guess I clicked the wrong one.

I will ask him about the weight of the oil. They both get their oil changed at the same place that has always done a great job for them. I don't see why the service place wouldn't use that grade oil. The dealership didn't mention anything about the weight, but just simply the fact that it was Pennzoil and not "Mopar" oil. My friend also has an '06 Ram HEMI Sport 4x4 with about 10,000 less miles and has no issues.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:59 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Could have just been a fluke. The older Hemi's had ticking issues, but I'm pretty sure that they resolved that issue in in 06.

And yeah, that is what she said

Old 11-16-2008, 09:18 AM
jram99
Veteran

Not all dealers know. The dealership where I test drove the 09 offers free oil changes for life. The salesman I was speaking with told me he had bought an 08 with the hemi and was telling me how great it was to get free oil changes. When I mentioned the allpar.com article to him he said he didn't know that and would have to ask the service mgr about it. He did tell me they did not use synthetic oil though so I told him I would probably just do my own oil changes after the break in period. He then told me either way I would need to bring the truck in on a regular basis so that it could be checked as this was a requirement for the lifetime drive train warranty. So I told him that I would bring the oil, they could supply the filter and the labor and everbody would be happy then. Guess that depends though on where I get the best price once the ram box is available. Jeff.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mhm, that is what I do with my Mustang. I take everything with me and let them change the oil for $10. I talked to him about it and that is probably what will be happening from now on (I think, lol).

Quick Reply: Lifters and Valves Being Replaced