3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tricky question for you all

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Echis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricky question for you all

I could not find a definite or even remote idea on this topic.

What is the average life expectancy of a 2004 Ram?

Engine: 5.7L Hemi

Style: Quad Cab SLT

The reason I ask is because my wife is so sold on my truck, of which I'll have pics soon enough, that she wants one of her own.

Well I found this one for 6499. It has 106k miles on motor/tran/body

I assume with such high mileage I might be able to weasel down the dealership housing this but now need to decide if it's worth it.

If it's not, next question is this: Same truck with 46k miles on it, different color, same year: Is it worth 10k? I say no, what about you all?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:24 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

A truck with 60K less miles, for only $3500 more. That would be the truck I would go after. You will get 3 to 4 years out of the truck before it has as many miles as the other one.

As for as the life of a truck. It is really no way to say, there are so many factors that go in that.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Martin460
Rookie

Life s..ks here:
I bought my 2002 truck two years ago for 30 000.-

Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

id say an 04 with 46k for $10k is worth it.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 04 seems like a pretty decent deal.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
SHNOOL
Rookie
Default If it helps give you a comparison...

I bought my 2004 2500 Quad Cab SLT, about a month ago, for $10,500 with 72,000 miles on it. Seemed like a good deal at the time..

As a bonus, the girlfriend is just nutso for the "Big Truck." Hadn't even considered that angle.

Get the one with less miles, and smile as it burns those fossil fuels loud and proud (I bought mine when gas was $4.11/gallon)... now look $1.91/gallon and dropping!

Old 11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Echis

Thanks everyone. I think the main reason I asked on the 106k is because the truck is beautiful. I don't think I've seen a truck in such tip top shape with more than 100k on it before.

Will do to check out the ones with less miles on them.

I think my wife got sold on it when she started driving it herself.

She came up from a small two door car.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Talking Depends on you!

Originally Posted by Echis
I could not find a definite or even remote idea on this topic.

What is the average life expectancy of a 2004 Ram?

Engine: 5.7L Hemi

Style: Quad Cab SLT

The reason I ask is because my wife is so sold on my truck, of which I'll have pics soon enough, that she wants one of her own.

Well I found this one for 6499. It has 106k miles on motor/tran/body

I assume with such high mileage I might be able to weasel down the dealership housing this but now need to decide if it's worth it.

If it's not, next question is this: Same truck with 46k miles on it, different color, same year: Is it worth 10k? I say no, what about you all?
As per your first question, the average life expectancy of your vehicle depends primarily on you my friend. The biggest investment next to a house is a car for most americans.

Change your oil every 6k w/ synthetic and a good oil filter. Change the spark plugs/PCV valve etc as per the manual; that protects the engine. Drop the pan and change the transmission fluid and filter every 30k/ and service the differentials at this time as well. This will protect your transmission etc.
Change the coolant with distilled water and flush properly as per your manual. Something thats not on your manual lol change the damn hoses. All of mine on my 2004 went bad before 67k. Power steering hoses, heater core and both coolant hoses. If you follow that manual to the exact procedures and timeframes, you should be able to fetch 200k out of your baby. I plan to keep mine forever or untill gas goes to $15.00 a gallon then I wont be able to afford her.

On the reply to your other question, get the one with less miles; less miles means thats less time someone can mess up the vehicle. AND GET A CAR FAX REPORT! Also their is another report that lists all the stuff fixed on the vehicle under warranty etc. I do not recall the name at this point but another forum member should be able to chime in with it.
If you dont off road it, then the ball joints wheel bearings etc will last longer.
Good luck and remember the life of the vehicle depends on you! Aim for the rollover the odometer mark lol!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Echis

Thanks!

I definitely plan to keep whatever she gets for the next 5-10 years hopefully. I'm not the type to upgrade every few years, I like to keep em till they die

Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm eagerly anticipating how long mine will last, the damn thing feels just as strong at 80,000 miles as it did at 28,000 miles. I will say this though, I read the engineering reports for testing done prior to the release of the 5.7 hemi. The engineers put these engines through the equivalent of 1,000,000 miles with varying loads and temperature extremes, including running it hot without coolant and then slamming 40 ° coolant into it. The family business I grew up in (great-grandfather to grandfather to uncle) is land surveying. We had a 73 Suburban with a 350 4bbl. With regular oil changes (pre-synthetic, every 3000 miles) and allowing to warm up properly before using it, we got a little over 300,000 miles from it before the body pretty much rotted off of it. I'd venture to say that other components on the truck will fall apart before the engine itself does. Luckily, parts are plentiful!

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 11-15-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Tricky question for you all