3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I plan on keeping mine until it falls apart or gets hit and totaled. My plan is to pay off the truck and Caliber, then build my 6 car garage, then hopefully a new Challenger if dodge is still in business and I have a job.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I suppose that's everyone's plan, but we all know that bigger and better things come out each year. In 5years time our trucks will be dinosaurs and we'll want to upgrade. It's the American way!
Also, there's nothing in the warranty that states you need body panels to get drivetrain warranty coverage!
The paint has a 10 year warrenty on it as well, (except the grocery cart ding/chip), so with that most ppl running their trucks to death should be good to go for quite a long time!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Bones1274
Professional

Originally Posted by semigod
The paint has a 10 year warrenty on it as well, (except the grocery cart ding/chip), so with that most ppl running their trucks to death should be good to go for quite a long time!
According to the owners manual the anti-corrosion warranty is 3 yrs unlimited milage, and the outer panels warranty is 5 yrs 100k miles with this caveat....
3.2 ENIRONMENTAL FACTORS NOT COVERED
"Your warranties don't cover damage caused by environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms, windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods and earthquakes.
Your warranties do not cover conditions resulting from anything impacting the truck. This includes cracks and chips in glass, scratches and chips in painted surfaces, or damage from collision."

The way I see it, if the paint just happens to fall off the panels by itself in the first 5 years it's covered, otherwise your screwed.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
dazed01
Veteran

I read the book and I think dodge may try to pull some shady stuff on the powertrain warranty. It talks about how a warranty is for covering manufacturers defects and not for parts wear out. They may try to say your truck with 200k miles and bad rings is not a defect, just worn out and is now customer pay. Any dodge reps on here that could go into further detail? Regardless I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off bolting them back on and driving it again.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Bones1274
Professional

One thing most people don't realize about the lifetime powertrain warranty, is that you have to get your vehicle inspected every 5 years at a dealership. The inspection has to be within 60 days of the 5 year anniversary. If you do not get it inspected during that time frame, the warranty becomes void. There are pages in the book for the dealer to fill out at each inspection. There are pages all the way out to 30 years. Unless you are only drving your truck to church and back once a week, there is no way the engine and tranny are going to last 30 years. I expect them to replace my engine when it goes belly up in a decade or so.....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Bones1274
According to the owners manual the anti-corrosion warranty is 3 yrs unlimited milage, and the outer panels warranty is 5 yrs 100k miles with this caveat....
3.2 ENIRONMENTAL FACTORS NOT COVERED
"Your warranties don't cover damage caused by environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms, windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods and earthquakes.
Your warranties do not cover conditions resulting from anything impacting the truck. This includes cracks and chips in glass, scratches and chips in painted surfaces, or damage from collision."

The way I see it, if the paint just happens to fall off the panels by itself in the first 5 years it's covered, otherwise your screwed.
Not doubting you as i havent read the book myself. My dealer told me 10 years to the paint/body and hes a stand up guy as far as im concerned. Its possible my dealership added warrenty time, not real sure but i know some dealers will do that. I saw a ford dealership in the houston area offering a lifetime warrenty on their trucks sold...

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM
galvatron
Amateur

Originally Posted by dazed01
I read the book and I think dodge may try to pull some shady stuff on the powertrain warranty. It talks about how a warranty is for covering manufacturers defects and not for parts wear out. They may try to say your truck with 200k miles and bad rings is not a defect, just worn out and is now customer pay. Any dodge reps on here that could go into further detail? Regardless I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off bolting them back on and driving it again.
wear is not a defect, just an effect. nothin shady there. a cracked block due to an unforseen design flaw is, wether its at 10k or 300k with a lifetime warranty they cover it.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:08 PM
justanothermoparman
Veteran

I'm just wondering if Chrystler sells out will our lifetime warenties still be honored or will we be screwed...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:01 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by justanothermoparman
I'm just wondering if Chrystler sells out will our lifetime warenties still be honored or will we be screwed...
If they go under we're screwed in more ways than one...if they merge we should still be ok.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If it fails, it is due to materials or workmanship. It doesn't say anything about normal wear and tare isn't covered. It covers quite a bit. even CV boots on front wheel drive axles.
http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warr...e_warranty.pdf

Quick Reply: warranty question