3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 lifetime drivetrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM
paxmaster2000
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 lifetime drivetrain warranty

i just took ownership of a 08 dodge ram that was used as a demo vehicle. it has 6,800 miles. the dealer told me that the truck was not eligible for the warranty because it is considered used . if the vehicle has always been on the lot and never registered then i should be able to get the full warranty.
is this correct and if i am able to get the warranty who do i call?
thanks and a quick response would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

demo will normally have warr if they are telling you there is no warr I would suppect it was sold before and if it was the lifetime powertrain is over. it should still have the 3/36 warr. 6,800 is high for a demo you can have a service writer look up on dealer connect who was the first owner was and the warr status of the truck. he cant or should not tell you any personal info of the previous owner. I bet it was sold and reposed or was a rental

Last edited by eaglestorm; 11-18-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Demo? With that mileage on a 08 it sounds more like it was a loaner or a truck the dealer used to drive around a.k.a beat to hell. In all reality you should have argued the warranty before you bought it....the dealer and dodge have no reason to do anything for you now.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The truck was probably as eaglestorm had stated. In my quest for a truck, a dealership was trying to give me a "great deal" for a sunburst orange fully loaded ram 1500. The first thing I noticed was the inspection sticker in the window???? The truck had been sold and titled and the new owner backed out of the deal at the last minute. Dealerships process and push paperwork so very fast they don't delay and take that chance. That's the only way a vehicle won't have any New warranty with it.
For all Demo's as I have been in the car selling business for 5yrs previously, all Dealer Demo's have warranty that begins the moment you drive off the lot. For ex. if the truck had 6800 miles, you get the 3/36kmi coverage from there on, so infact you would be covered until 42,800 miles on the bumper warranty. The lifetime would obviousy be a no brainer.
If the dealership tolf you that it was a dealer demo and they lied about it, you can bring the truck back and get out of the deal since they misrepresented the vehicle. Here in NY state, all car dealers must specify new, used or Rental. If they do not state that, then you have every right to return the car for misleading/false advertising. If that truck is used and they said it was a demo, they lied and stole money because the main reason used trucks aren't worth no where near as much is because the warranty.
Most dealers these days are runnin up the miles on Demo's because the slow sales. They take their allownaces and pool them up for the demos because they can cash them in for more money at the end of the month. It helps especially when times are slow like they have been. I would do a CARFAX as soon as possible and see what it says.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 AM
paxmaster2000
Amateur

the dealer didn't really say . but when i first test drove the truck it had a bunch of crap in the storage but when i signed the papers it said that it was a demo.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You must have paperwork for the truck! There are little boxes that they check for new and used. See what box is checked. Also, any car dealership that I worked for had U for the first letter on the key tag for used vehicle for example U12345 compared to A12345.
I really hope you got a screamin deal or else they pulled a fast one on you. If they didn't specify new or used, then it must have been used because they play those games. It's your fault for not asking, however, if it was me and you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, I would get a lawyer and have the lawyer write the dealership a letter regarding the issue and maybe they will give you an extended warranty for free since they can afford to because they probably made a killing on you.
A used 2008 typically sells for $5-8k less than a new one.
If the salesman told you it was a demo, he was just saying whatever to get you to sign because he prob made a bunch-o-money. Salesman usually get 15-20% on the overall sale. So if they sell a car for $4k more than what the dealership owns it for, that's $800 in the salemans pocket. I never deal with those idiots when I buy a car. I demend to speak directly to the floor manager or general manager. They are the one's who write the numbers. Those annoying idiots that talk jibberish in your ears are just trained monkeys doing and speaking exactly as the GM and Fllor manager tell them to. They play a 4 time asround game. The first time is a complete smack in the face lowball offer, 2nd time is halfway from their lowball offer to where you wanna be and the 3rd is them wanting you to sign in the corner or give them a small deposit so the salesman can go to bat for you....ppffffttttt..ahahahahaha They almost always come back with a few hundred less than you want. Then they finally go back and get you what you were asking in the first place or samn near close. I always.Always.ALWAYS shoot for $3-400 more than what I really want or think I can get for the vehicle on trade. Any new car you can get hands down in todays market for $100 over invoice with no problems. Leftover, usually for invoice or under invoice. When you trade in a vehicle, the game is focused mainly on the used trade-in. They want to give you wholesale for your vehicle and charge you retail for theirs. Ya right. For every $1k you spend that's about $20 more a month on a 60mo. loan $20k=$400 $40k=$800

If they made $4k off of you, then that means your paying $80 more per month to pay them their earnings. That would **** me off.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-17-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
paxmaster2000
Amateur

well i got the truck for al said and done for 20k. it has everything powered with a 6ft. bed and 20 inch rims . so it isn't watered down . has more then my 04 dakota had. i miss my dakota. somebody thought that stops are meant for other people .

Old 11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Bones1274
Professional

If the dealer can prove that the truck was a demo and that you are the first registered owner, then you qualify for the lifetime warranty. If it turns out that they lied to you about being the first registered owner, well then your screwed on the warranty.

This is straight from Chrysler's website.

Q1: How do I know if I’m covered by the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A1: You're covered if you're the first registered vehicle owner – retail or lease – in U.S., Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands. This applies to 2009 model year vehicles. As well as 2006, 2007 and 2008 model year vehicles purchased on or after July 26, 2007.
http://www.chrysler.com/en/lifetime_...ranty/faq.html

Old 11-18-2008, 11:02 AM
TEDDYCHK
Default 20k?

Wow, they must not be hurting to sell them as bad as when I got mine. I only paid a little over 20k out the door for a new 08 quad cab 4x4 with the hemi. 50% off the window sticker. Even though the Ram comes with the lifetime power train warranty I went ahead at got a genuine Chrystler Maxium care warranty for it that is unlimited miles and unlimited years. I did not buy it from the dealer I bought the truck from though. I went online and found a dealer who would sell it to me for a heck of a lot less than I could go to Chrystler and get it for. I think I paid like $1700 for it with the $100 deductable. I do however plan on driving this truck until they can not fix it anymore so to me the warranty was worth it. I figure if I have it 5 yrs and the AC goes out of it then that repair alone paid for the warranty.

So you might consider getting the extended warranty if you bought the truck as is.

Can not wait to get home from Iraq and actually drive my Ram since gas has come down to less than $1.85 per gal.

Quick Reply: 08 lifetime drivetrain warranty