3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No Oil Pressure on 2005 1500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM
defektion
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Oil Pressure on 2005 1500 4x4

Hey guys, Just a few days ago my oil pressure gauge would go from normal, then then drop down to 0 and the check gauges light comes on, then the pressure would go back up to normal for a few seconds, then drop again.. over and over. Not.. it dropped and stayed dropped. Wont go back up.. Any idea what it is?? Only 45,000 miles on the engine. Im thinking OP switch. I changed the oil and it was really nasty oil.. and after i changed the oil the guage stayed normal for about 600 miles.. now its totally gone and wont go up at all. And theres a really bad ticking noise.. sounds like the lifters or a rod

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Oil pump maybe be broke. Not sure. Ticking though. I hope you didnt blow the bearings in the crank shaft. That would be more of a knock i think though. Sorry not too sure.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM
dazed01
Veteran

I wouldn't drive it, I would pull the oil pan and check the pick up tube screen. If the oil was nasty sludge may be built up in the engine and chunks broke off clogging the screen up. If that is the case I'd clean everything as good as I could, put oil in it with a new filter and change the oil in a week or so again. You ever change the oil on it?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I cannot believe you guys are telling him to drop his pan for the first solution? Are you crazy!!! Clearly no certified technicians up in here!

I would start out by changing your oil filter! I have had instances where the oil filter was faulty and did the same thing. Then if that's not your problem, pull the filter back off and pour a whole can of Seafoam or Kerosene in your oil filter and try that. If then nothing happens, go to the last resort...dropping your pan.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-18-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 AM
dazed01
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I cannot believe you guys are telling him to drop his pan for the first solution? Are you crazy!!! Clearly no certified technicians up in here!

I would start out by changing your oil filter! I have had instances where the oil filter was faulty and did the same thing. Then if that's not your problem, pull the filter back off and pour a whole can of Seafoam or Kerosene in your oil filter and try that. If then nothing happens, go to the last resort...dropping your pan.

He said it was dropping to 0, then he changed his oil, was good for a while then started doing it again. He also said the oil was nasty. I haven't dropped the pan on one yet but is it that hard? If it was my truck with 45k miles and zero oil pressure I'd want to drop the pan and check. I WOULD check with a mechanical gauge, but if the dummy light and the gauge read 0 then I'd check the pick up tube. You can do whatever you want with your stuff but I've never had a problem, AND I'm ASE certified.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:39 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Is it a 4.7? Ive read on here that can be a common problem with them. IF its a 4.7 just ask mmstar what he went through getting that very same problem cleared up. Dropping the pan was part of his fix...

Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose I didn't see where he changed the oil. It's tough to read every single word most guys type. Usually it's ranting about nothing even related.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
galvatron
Amateur

i looked at this thread about 4 times b4 my brain kicked in.
is this vehicle still under warranty if your the original owner its 7yr/70k warr. if so just park it and call the dealer to have it flatbeded to the shop. if your the second owner see if you can transfer the warranty, i dont know the official requirements.
now really crappy/burned oil isnt warranty and if crappy oil damaged the engine your still on your own. the warranty should cover a sender/wiring issue though.
if its not warranty park the truck now...... have someone put a real gauge on the engine, could just be the sender malfunctioning due to the cooked oil or a wiring issue. hopefully its a sender/wiring problem. (cheap and easy to fix)
it never would have made it 600 mi with no oil pressure without a failure. there is now way it would have held up, its like drivin from NY to TN, not happenin. Im leanin towards sender issue due to sludge/goo. and yes goo is a technical term. if it was mine id check everything else first, then drop the pan if the oil drained was as nasty as you say. cheap insurance and a good time to clean up the pan/lower block/pick-up assy thats just me.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Jordan5.7
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just changed the oil as you stated and it was in very bad shape you need to assume that the reason that the oil pressure is low is because something is clogged up. I would not drive it hoping that it is a pressure sender problem. The real question is why was the oil in such bad shape to begin with?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
defektion
Amateur

Well i was doing alot of offroading. And yeah, i know. Anyways i think water got into the oil because my oil level was high before i changed it.. i put royal purple full synthetic in it. And already did all the seafoam.

Quick Reply: No Oil Pressure on 2005 1500 4x4