3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI-Malfunction indicator lamp? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 PM
TheBaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI-Malfunction indicator lamp? Please Help!

So I just put on my new ebay CAI and I turned it on and it sounded great...but my malfuctioning indicator stayed on even after a quick trip around the block. But that was expected because I took the Hemi Hat off and the plug that attached to the hat was just sitting there, I hadn't drilled the hole yet. So then I decided to attach one of the tubes to the hemi hat keeping that plug in the hat and simply making it act as a new air filter plus more piping. Indicator light was still on. I tightened and retightened everything, checked plugs and nothing. So it got dark so I yanked it all off and put the OEM air filter with the box and hemi hat and everything back on. Just like new, but the indicator lamp was still on! I once again tightened everything. I'm not sure what to do since it could be a loose cap or a broken cam, however it's not the latter, I drove it around the block. Everything was fine, no foreign sounds or anything. Any help would be great!

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Did you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery (-) for at least 30 minutes? I did mine and have not had any lights at all.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
TheBaker
Professional

Haha, about 1 minute after posting the original post I realized I totally forgot to reset it. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks!
BTW, how did you attach the air sensor to the new pipe?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

That light will go away on its own after the pcm learns the new airflow. No worries.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I bought a grommet from the auto parts store that looked like it was big enough. It ended up being a PCV grommet for a Toyota. LOL.

Anyway, I drilled a hole in the new pipe and popped it in. The air temp sensor just pushed right in. But it is snug enough where it is not coming out. I bought my CAI on eBay as well, but I added a genuine K&N filter on there. I am not sure what the other one was.... but it seemed okay. You know, old habits die hard...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 PM
TheBaker
Professional

Well I actually got a pack that came with a K&N cone filter. So I guess I'll make a run to the auto store and get that piece. That just worried me as well, having a plug not hooked in to anything.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IAT sensor is a vital part of how the computer reads airflow. Driving with it not in the loop is not a good idea.

Simply adding a cold air intake should NOT require a reset nor trigger a CEL. The computer "learns" just as quickly during regular driving as it does after a reset.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Huh? Lot's of guys get a cell for a short while after installing a CAI. Think about it, if it's not effecting the airflow substantially, why bother?

I do agree that it is bad news to leave it unplugged.

Quick Reply: CAI-Malfunction indicator lamp? Please Help!