3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 1500 HEMI & pinging

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
toastedoat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1500 HEMI & pinging

My '07 1500 Mega Cab with the 5.7 started pinging. I tried to get off on the cheap & use 87 gas, and it seemed to be OK for awhile, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago the engine was pinging. Not sure how long this has been happening. I tried a few different brands over the past week or so, and no difference. So, I made the switch to 89 octane yesterday when I filled up.

I also took it to the dealer yesterday for one of their free oil changes. When i mentioned the pinging to the service rep, he first told me about using higher octane (check), and then told me about some flushing process they use to remove any buildup from the heads and other parts of the engine. The cost for this is ~$150.00. My question is 1) is this necessary? After switching octane, is the higher temp-burning gas enough to remove these deposits as well as the predetonations, and if so, about how many tanks should it take? and 2) does anyone know what they actually do, and is it any different from going to Autozone and getting a bottle of zMax or something similar and dumping it in a couple of tanks of gas?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, yes predetonation can cause build up in the combustion chamber as the heads. However, I would just get a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and throw that in. Pour that stuff in for the next 2 fills and you'll be golden. It also lubricates. I have nver used Zmax??? I never even paid any attention to it. I'm narrowminded at search for particular items. You need something that will lubricate while it cleans! Those machines and services they use claim they are safe, but how can you clean the fuel injection and heads and everything else in an hours time??? Harsh chemicals that dry out your seals. Alcohol and concentrated particles of petroleum distillate. Sure most injector cleaners have that stuff, but at much lower doses. I've had great results with the Lucas as well as Greased Lightning in a blue/green and blac bottle. Don't remember who makes it, but that is great stuff. I used it for a couple of cars I had and the improvement felt like I put on a set of headers! Now that's because they were almost dead to begin with...lol I bought the last bottle at Napa and I know Kmart and Sears had the stuff. Undeniable good stuff even coming from Kmart. I have just using Lucas becuase that's the only thing I used on my Cobra and Advance Auto has it and they are right around the corner. Napa isn't.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you really, really, really want to clean everything up from your heads. Throw on a nice NX wet kit and use some 75hp-100hp pills. Believe it or not nitrous cleans everything it touches! Most of the time, engines that have been used on a constant basis appear to have very little mileage on them when n2o is used!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Hemitime87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the dealership I work at, we only use Mopar fuel injector cleaners and it is essentially one molecule off propane. And propane cleans everything it runs through, it doesn't damage your engine and quite frankly it's the best stuff out there. And as for pinging, definitely do not use 87 octane, use high-grade 89 octane ALL the time, I learnt that the hard way...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Techron cleaner is another really good pour in cleaner.

Quick Reply: 2007 1500 HEMI & pinging