3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 AM
jankerson
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 hemi ram
the bfgs, that i have anyway, have a cold temperature recommendation of 65 psi. in deep snow air down to no less than 20 to be safe. light accumulations, regular pressure. in the winter get some sand bags, 300 pounds is enough. that reminds me i need to go get some sand tomorrow!! in snow the narrower the tire, the easier it is to get through. unless it is deep, like feet of snow, where you want to float on the snow. if it gets deep, i just stay home and wait for the plows.

Yep, anything over a foot and I wait for the plows. No real need to air them down though, just good AT or snow tires at normal pressure does just fine.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Exclamation

It has been well established that a narrow tire will perform better in snow and much better in deep snow. The wider the tire, the more snow that has to be pushed out of the way. Many who run 60 series performance tires run 75 series winter tires. Before you make a serious error in judgement, contact one of the sponsors for technical advise.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Max00racer
Veteran

Yea i sent out a question to the experts at BFG...but the deep snow is what I look for, so much fun to go out exploring late at night when its comin down hard and the roads aren't plowed. Airing down to like 20psi did help some, but now that the roads are all clear its going to be a pain in the butt to fill them up with my 3 gallon on board air setup.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM
seawind3000
Professional

Found this site, definitely some good tips on there
http://www.4x4tirereview.com/airdown.html

This is for very slow "off roading" not snow, If you air down this much you can roll the bead off the rim, unless you are going about 4 mph and that won't get you through very much snow. You need to carry a good momentum to go through deep snow. Mud tires are for mud, the large lugs are a thing of the past for snow. Today's snow tire has a close pattern with lots of sipes for lots of edges to bite the surface. 4 good studded snow tires( if you are allowed studs) and some weight in the pan ( and some common sense) will go along way

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Originally Posted by Max00racer
...but the deep snow is what I look for, so much fun to go out exploring late at night when its comin down hard and the roads aren't plowed.
Do yourself a favor and bring some warm blankets so you don't freeze to death when you get stuck in a ditch somewhere.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

no blankets needed when your out there with more than just your vehicle, especially when there's potential to get stuck.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

1st off, if u need change air pressure to increase your traction that much maybe you need to look at different tires.

that being said, i would air up to have a smaller foot print to get through the snow to get to the road to get traction.

remember tire psi goes down about 1 PSI for every 10 Degrees F

Old 11-23-2008, 07:35 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I run mine at 35 front and 32 rear year round! The only time I change that is if I go off-roading, or have to haul a heavy load! No need to air down in the snow! if you want to go exploring then check this site out!

http://mattracks.com/

Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
TooFastForLove
Rookie

Did everyone forget they have 4x4 in their trucks?

Throw it in 4wheel. you'll be fine....

Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Der Schatten

th eonly time i ever air down my tires are in serious offroad situations. on my trail rig i would go down to 6-10psi. on the dodge i might drop it to 22-25psi. but for the streets, even in snow i keep them at 35psi

Quick Reply: winter weather driving psi on thirty fives??