3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips programmers for 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips programmers for 4.7

Hey everyone I am looking into a programmer for my 05 4.7 V8 and have found that superchips finally supports the 4.7. YAY! anyways I am looking at putting in new cams, with headers and free flow cats, along with 4.56 gears, and 35 or 37'' tires. I am looking at the superchips flashpaq tuner and their cortex programmer. Price is not too much difference, but which one is going to be more suitable for my application? thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

depends on what cams. I hear that with a drastic cam change you might have to move on past the SC and get the SCT tuner

Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Well I like the 206 cams for the torque, but hammer was telling me that they make a 212x cam for our engine that combines the great low-end torque of the 206 while still recieving the upper gains familiar with the old 212 cam. So I think the 212X would be the way to go? Where do I go to find the SCT tuner. Is that the cortex programmer from superchips? I think it's part number 3950.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WeightLifter500
Well I like the 206 cams for the torque, but hammer was telling me that they make a 212x cam for our engine that combines the great low-end torque of the 206 while still recieving the upper gains familiar with the old 212 cam. So I think the 212X would be the way to go? Where do I go to find the SCT tuner. Is that the cortex programmer from superchips? I think it's part number 3950.
I highly disagree with your cam choice. I have run both the H/O cams and currently the 212 cams... the 212x are said to have a bit more low end... but there is a better way to get both low end & top end.

ALL the re-grind cams start off as Factory H/O cams. We take the H/O cams and send them off to have ground to the customers requested grind.

In a nut shell, torque is removed off the H/O cams in order to give them HP. Thats not the best route to take when dealing with a HEAVY truck.

In my experience, the H/O cams with Superchips I was able to run 1.99 60ft times.

While with my 212 cams Ported heads & SCT the best I can muster is a 2.24 60ft. Thats a HUGE LOSS down low.

In my opinion, had I gone with the H/O Cams, Ported heads & SCT I would have had the best of both low end and top end. I would NOT suggest you to a re-grind cam without bumping up the Compression Ratio.

This is a case of BIGGER is NOT better!

Shoot me a PM or give me a call... I can offer you some very helpful information and help you make MORE POWER with LESS$$ on your 4.7L engine.

And if you do chose to go with a REGRIND, SCT is NOT an option it will be necessary. Also be ready to step up to a 2800 stall converter and 4.56 gears if you have not already done so. You will need them to make up for the loss in low end torque! If not you will be a slug off the line. Also we offer some of the best prices on 4.7L performance parts...

Personally If you can swing SCT.. it would be superior to the Superchips. BUT the Superchips 3815 will work well with the H/O cams. I would go with the Flash Paq 3815.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR RAM; 11-23-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:42 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

But is there a SCT that is availible for the 2005 4.7? And is the SC Flashpaq 3815 superior to the SC cortex 3950? I will need one that can handle recalibrating for larger tires, 4.56 gears, and now after talking to nick H/O cams. Not to mention the obvious overall performance tune. Ill be adding headers, a CAI, and Free flow cats if that makes a difference as well.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

And Nick I forgot to ask in my PM to you what would be the gains of just the H/O cams. I know that you said 20-25 RWHP, but how about TQ numbers?

Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 AM
ramracing4.7ltr
Veteran

lol ya i was gonna go with 212 /218 cams as well , but nick did talk me out of it and i decided to get h/o cams. they do work very well with superchips 3815 programmer! torque impovment is definately there at 60+ mph for me!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

But is there a SCT that is availible for the 2005 4.7? And is the SC Flashpaq 3815 superior to the SC cortex 3950? I will need one that can handle recalibrating for larger tires, 4.56 gears, and now after talking to nick H/O cams. Not to mention the obvious overall performance tune. Ill be adding headers, a CAI, and Free flow cats if that makes a difference as well.
They both adjust for Tire height. When you change gears you do NOT need to adjust anything... your speed sensor takes the reading from the tone ring that is bolted to your ring gear. So there is nothing in the PCM that you need to adjust. Only tire height will effect your speedo and they both allow for adjustment of tire height.

Honestly, im not sure what the difference between the two are... We sell more 3815's then we do the 3950's....

Here is what I got off the SUPERCHIPS WEBSITE:

Flashpaq Tuner for Dodge Gas Trucks:

KEY FEATURES
* Increased Horsepower and Torque
* Internet Updateable
* Easy Installation
* No Tools Necessary
* Improved Fuel Economy
* Optimized Drivability
* Diagnostic Trouble Code Reading Capability
* Internet Updateable for Latest Calibrations

Cortex Programmer for Dodge

KEY FEATURES
# Up to three best-in-class tuning levels
# Industry-Exclusive 2-year powertrain warranty comes with every product at no additional cost
# Elegant, sleek, innovative design
# Diagnostic Library retrieves, displays and clears DTC's
# Log performance times & speeds, displays & stores PID data
# Supports wheel, tire and gear swaps
# Easy to install, Internet updateable
# One part number for each OEM (e.g. PN 3950 covers 05-08 Chrysler 300C Hemi, Dodge Charger & Magnum Hemi, 04-08 Hemi powered Ram Pickups, and 03-08 Cummins powered Ram Trucks

With that said.. There are several 2004 4.7L trucks and a couple 2006 4.7L trucks that have been SCT tuned already... So most likely yours can be tuned. Contact HEMIFEVER and give him your vin number and ask him if its supported or not.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

And Nick I forgot to ask in my PM to you what would be the gains of just the H/O cams. I know that you said 20-25 RWHP, but how about TQ numbers?
It all depends on your mods and if they promote low end torque or not. In my opinion you should chose EVERY MOD that is said to increase low end torque... and only sacrifice torque for HP when you have no better option.

I would guess the torque increase should be close to the HP gains... Its difficult to predict since everyone who goes to an cam normally has many other mods.

Bottom line is, with the right supporting mods: Intake/Exhaust/Throttle body.... You will see impressive gains.

I would really like to see somone step up to a set of HO CAMS/PORTED HEADS/70MM THROTTLE BODY/SCT TUNE... This would be a sick combo... add 4.56 gears and a 2800 stall, and this COMBO would be quick!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey everyone I am looking into a programmer for my 05 4.7 V8 and have found that superchips finally supports the 4.7. YAY! anyways I am looking at putting in new cams, with headers and free flow cats, along with 4.56 gears
for the considerable expense of those mods,
you should at least check out what you could purchase a new or used
2008 Ram with twin sparklug/hi flow cylinder heads revision of the 4.7
or perhaps better
a Ram with a Hemi 5.7 V8

test drive such trucks

find out the cost of those mods you are thinking of
and
find out the cost of a newer Ram with an inherently better engine design
and
keep that price difference in mind

also factor in a 'hassle' factor
that it is more likely the mods can be done wrong
and cause difficult problems on your existing truck

this is more likely than the newer truck will be wrong from the factory, plus it has a warranty

treat all claims by aftermarket salesmen with a huge grain of salt

good luck

Quick Reply: Superchips programmers for 4.7