3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So I guess Headers are out of the Question :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the shorties, better low to mid range gains than the LTs, and there really isn't a huge difference in power between the two anyways. Most of the headers I have looked into give an 8-10% increase for the shorties and an 8-14% increase for the LTs thats really not much of a difference...

Old 11-25-2008, 03:20 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

You can get a Flowmaster Y-Pipe for about $40 from Jeg's. That ain't too shabby....
It should not cost more than about $50 to get it installed.....is it worth it?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:39 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I am looking more into the shorties. I see that most all the manufactures make CARB certified shorties. Now, my only set back is trying to find some that fit my 4x2 2500. If anyone has any suggestions, im all ears.

As far as the Y pipe goes. I dunno, it looks all smashed together where the 2 pipes go into 1. seems kinda restrictive to me. does anyone even make a Y pipe replacement that would hook right up to the shorties and keep my cats in the stock spot? or is that a custom fab sort of deal?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

JBA makes a Y pipe that comes in the kit with their Shorties

Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I must be reading that wrong....
The shape of the Y-pipe is what makes it restrictive....that's what I meant by the nature of it.

Originally Posted by truckin151
Go with the shorties, better low to mid range gains than the LTs, and there really isn't a huge difference in power between the two anyways. Most of the headers I have looked into give an 8-10% increase for the shorties and an 8-14% increase for the LTs thats really not much of a difference...
I can actually say i've never seen or heard anyone say that ever. From my experience shorties will give you between 5-10rwhp where LT's will give you 20-30rwhp with a good tune. That's a big difference. Not only are the peak numbers better but so is the curve.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

First off I am not going to deny that the LT's put out more power but your numbers are a little off... Its right around a 10hp difference between the two as the shorties put out more around 10-15rwhp NOT 5, and when you sit and look at it 10hp is really not that much of a difference. And the only noticeable difference between the two would be around the 5000 rpm range in which the LT's will then out perform the Shorties, but how often are you ever in the 5000rpm range?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:35 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for a reliable shorty header power gain estimate
it is worthwhile to look at
and read about
the Hemi 6.1 factory header design:

http://ask.autoblog.com/2006/02/20/a...-7-and-6-1-v8/

great cut-away pictures,
huh?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
Not too sure where you come up with this information, but LT's in any scenerio will produce more power and torque at any rpm than shorties, Especially in the lower rpm range. I think if you do some research you will find that out. Maybe on a 4cylinder honda a shorty is better because the amount of air being pushed through is no where near as much as a v6 or v8.
When you go to a tube diamter that is extraodinarily large, then it may suffer low end loss, but never have I heard before LT's will make less power on the low end than shorties. Never have I come accross shorties that made 15 real hp. Maybe crank HP but certainly not real rwhp. Every vehicle i ever put LT's on created atleast 20rwhp and 20rwtq through the entire rpm range.

The tube length of a LT header is key to performance. The longer the primary, the better off you will be as it removes heat away from the cylinder head cooling it much faster tus creating more power. Also, the firecone in a LT header can be of more consistency and larger than with shorty headers because the lack of room.

Most shorty headers aren't equal length and this creates a mild turbulence at the firecone collector. LT headers have such a long primary tube, by the time the air gets to the firecone, the back pressure is so low at the heads, it doesn't make a huge impact like the shorties do.

The rule of thumb is this: Shorties are a mild gain and barely noticeable on stock equipt vehicles. The exhaust tone is slightly changed.
Mid-length headers provide much better low-mid torque than shorties and are the best solution if LT's aren't available. Drawback is you need to spend $$$$ to buy the much needed y-pipe to go with them and not every company makes middies.
LT's are the best solution for any car. Stock or modified. Unlike shorties that create max power out of the box at a whopping 5-10rwhp, LT's you will see more HP/TQ increase as engine power improves. Stock engine gains will range from 10-25rwhp/15-30rwtq and when you modify your engine the gaind can be upwards of 40rwhp and 50rwtq.

With all that said, here is a Nice header solution and affordable for the Dodge Ram 4x4. I'm thinking of getting it myself
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2BSI%26otn%3D4

Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Mid-length headers provide much better low-mid torque than shorties and are the best solution if LT's aren't available. Drawback is you need to spend $$$$ to buy the much needed y-pipe to go with them and not every company makes middies.
Maybe thats what Im thinking of then, cause all the ones I have looked at for my truck have needed a new Y pipe to go with them...

Old 11-26-2008, 01:21 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Nice post Dirty..

Quick Reply: So I guess Headers are out of the Question :(