3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So I guess Headers are out of the Question :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice post indeed dirtydog.. that is alot of great info. If i could find something like whats in your link for my 4x2 2500 in mid or short tube and keeps me smog legal in CA i would jump all over it.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

well, i found a set of JBA cat4ward shorty headers, comes with a y pipe. you check em out Right Here

It says they fit the 4x2 2500. i guess i would just have to have my cats and 02 sensors welded in. Im just not too sure how that would work out. seems like my y pipe and aftermarket y's are pretty different.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:16 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$929???? IS that the final price including shipping? If not your paying about $100 more than you should have to, unless its because yours is a 2500... Noguess not, look around there are far better deals than that out there for those headers with the Y pipe included. This is where I will be getting mine done for christmas

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/e...4246_4249.html

And just for the hell of it I'll have them do a dyno run before and after the headers are installed in a few weeks just to see what all they actually do for it.... Their shop techs are out til the 8th on vacation, so mine will be done shortly after that

Last edited by truckin151; 11-26-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

JBA is a quality product and their fircone is patented! Their shortied provide the best power gain you could ask for, while still falling short og midlength, they are a great header. I was certain that JBA is a direct fit for stock headers. I was unaware that you needed an additional Y-pipe.
Also, JBA's website is by far the cheapest price I have found, which for some reason is *** backwards than most large companies. Most of the time if you buy direct, it's much more expensive, but I checked prices out on JBA's website and they were far cheaper than elswhere. A nice set of JBA's that aren't crazily coated with all the bells and whistles should run you about $450-$550 for the pair. I can't remember if they come with gaskets, but I have always been a fan of and used Percy's gaskets for the headers. Best gasket I have ever used!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

$930 for 10hp is not a good deal. just get a set of SRT8 factory headers and have your Y-pipe modded to fit them.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the exact set you need. Follow the auction. Great deal http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Ram-03-1500-5-7L-2WD-JBA-Cat4ward-Headers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQihZ017QQi temZ270306427928QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Don't get all caught up i the special coatings they offer as in the 5sj endings and so forth. The set you made the link to has silver ceramic coating on it. Just get the regular stainless and call it a day! Ceramic is nice, but I would only get that on LT's because of the length of the primaries.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-26-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:24 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
nice post indeed dirtydog.. that is alot of great info. If i could find something like whats in your link for my 4x2 2500 in mid or short tube and keeps me smog legal in CA i would jump all over it.
Sadly mids aren't CARB certed either...anything that moves the cats from their stock location is an auto failure. Sad but true. Go here to find parts that are carb certed

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Is it just me or do those headers look used? That isn't a big deal except the seller is saying they've never been installed.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

thanks for all the input and links guys. i have learned a great deal from all your wisdom, and through my couple days of research.

I called up JBA and talked to a guy named Dustin. He was really cool. gave me all the part #s id need for a full on JBA setup (shorty headers with down pipes, Y pipe, 3" cat back and nice tip all stainless steel and CARB certified). then we chit chatted a bit, and he gave me contact info for some of his dealers in my area, and some of his online dealers. he said to drop his name and get them to give me a good packaged deal. Turns out the main JBA Performance center is right down the street from where I live! I talked to them and they said theyd give me all the parts for $1000 and would install for 300-400.

now, looking up all the parts online and comparing the quote he gave me it was a pretty decent discount..... if i end up doing the JBA setup. I dont know about that labor price though. might check around some see if i cant find a better price. but it would be a piece of mind having a JBA center install the new JBA setup.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Yea $300-400 is pretty high considering they're just bolting on your headers/Y and a little fab work for the catback...hell maybe not even that if they're selling you a pre-made catback.

Quick Reply: So I guess Headers are out of the Question :(