3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

why does my truck do this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my truck do this?

cruse controll set at 70 and when i role down the window it turns cruse off. also i noticed that the inteior lights in the dash dim when i adjust my power seats?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Toolman74

Sounds like you maybe have a weak battery or charging system. Or a bad ground somewhere.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Def. an electrical problem! i would get it checked out. You can go to advance ot autozone or whatever you have in your home town. Most large places will check your alternator charging for free. They hook this machine up to your car and let your car run for a few minuted and will tell you if it needs to be replaced. If everything is good, then you will have to take your battery out and get that tested inside the store. Maybe they have something new since the last time i went?

If it's neither, I would bring it to a dealer so they can isolate the problem. A dealer will have much more knowledge of the wiring than a corner garage.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

also just rembered a whine in the radio???
its the factory battery all i have running off of it is my amp. has a aftermarket radio and cb but they dont draw any more power then stock. if it is the alt or battery im under warrenty . poss a bad ground??

Old 11-27-2008, 08:03 PM
manogmin
Professional

if there's a whine in the radio, then it is most likely a grounding problem, but that may not be related to the other problems though.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like your 5 year old battery is weak and the alternator is working overtime. Have both checked at your local auto parts store.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:19 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

To check your alternator, turn your truck on, then disconnect the positive battery cable. If the truck dies out, your alternator is pucked. If it stays on, alternator is okay. Factory battery could be problem. Had to have mine replaced a month ago. Had similar problems with lights dimming and what not. My new battery has 850 cold cranking amps. Starts easily like a muthatruka!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

what is the difference in the otima yellow top and red top batteries. or what batterie would you all recomend

Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the yellow top is for you if you have a ****load of aftermarket extra stuff running off the battery. like extra lights, compressors, couple of amps, power inverters to power more stuff. if you are running just an amp and aftermarket stereo, the red is perfect.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge it then ram it
To check your alternator, turn your truck on, then disconnect the positive battery cable. If the truck dies out, your alternator is pucked. If it stays on, alternator is okay. Factory battery could be problem. Had to have mine replaced a month ago. Had similar problems with lights dimming and what not. My new battery has 850 cold cranking amps. Starts easily like a muthatruka!!!
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A voltage spike can fry the computer and can blow out any bulb or electronics in the truck. This worked fine in the 60's with points ignition.

Quick Reply: why does my truck do this?