3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New tranny at 72000 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Toolman74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tranny at 72000 miles.

So I'm getting a new tranny and I only have 72000 miles. I have the 45RFE it's costing me $3000 CDN. I took it to the tranny shop cause I thought my T-case was going bad. I could hear this clanking noise under high torque in 1st gear. The tranny shop said it definitly is the tranny and that the 1-2 shift is slow. So he was thinking a bad 1-2 clutch and he reccommended doing the tranny before the problem gets worse so I agreed. Did I do the right thing or should have maybe just lived with it. This tranny shouldn't be gone already should it ? I thought this was the best tranny.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Better to have gottrn it fixed while your in control. Last thing you want is to be stranded and have to wait and pay for a tow truck. That's not the greatest tranny by any means. Have you ruled out the possibility of the TPS sensor???

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-27-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Effects of Bad Engine Sensor Inputs on the Transmission
Because the transmission needs to know engine speed and load as well as vehicle speed to pick the right shift points, a bad sensor input or loss of a signal can create real problems for the transmission computer.
The throttle position sensor signal takes the place of the throttle kickdown linkage on older mechanical automatics. So if the TPS is reading high or low, or has a dead spot, it can affect transmission kickdown shifts when accelerating, as well as normal upshifts and downshifts, too. If the TCM cannot get a good TPS signal, it may substitute a "calculated" throttle angle provided by the PCM over the data bus. Or, if this signal is not available, it may substitute a fixed value for the TPS signal. This will obviously affect the way it shifts (transmission typically hunts for shift points) but not necessarily cause it to go into a limp-in mode.
A faulty throttle position sensor will not always set a fault code. The PCM has to be smart enough to figure out when the TPS is working properly and when it is not. Its diagnostic strategies may compare the TPS signal against engine rpm, MAP signal and/or airflow to determine if the TPS signal makes sense. If the TPS signal does not correspond to other sensor inputs that can be used to measure engine load, the PCM may set a fault code. Then again, it might not. It all depends on the self-diagnostic strategy, how sensitive it is to faults and how easily the PCM can detect problems.

here is where i pulled this info from. check the rest out : http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/us90224.htm

Also, a rebuilt tranny is not the same as a new tranny. They will re-use almost every pasrt other than what may have excessive wear. if they don't find anything, they will start to guess. I'd make sure all new clutch packs are put in and have your 2nd prime gear changed as well.

Last edited by dirtydog; 11-27-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toolman74
So I'm getting a new tranny and I only have 72000 miles. I have the 45RFE it's costing me $3000 CDN. I took it to the tranny shop cause I thought my T-case was going bad. I could hear this clanking noise under high torque in 1st gear. The tranny shop said it definitly is the tranny and that the 1-2 shift is slow. So he was thinking a bad 1-2 clutch and he reccommended doing the tranny before the problem gets worse so I agreed. Did I do the right thing or should have maybe just lived with it. This tranny shouldn't be gone already should it ? I thought this was the best tranny.
The problem with tranny shops is well...they're tranny shops. They don't get paid unless they take apart your transmission whether you might need it or not. It could very well be the tranny but my 1-2 shift has always been slow even when new. A clanking noise could be anything and IMO the rest of the drivetrain needs to be ruled out before tearing the tranny apart. Have you kept up on your maintenance...changing the tranny filters and fluid at the recommended intervals?

Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Toolman74

Yes I have kept the maintainence up including the front and rear diffs and t-case. What is the 2nd prime gear ?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you end up getting a rebuild look into a tranny from Dan the FastMan. He can set you up with a bullet proof tranny

Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i had a new tranny put in at 4000 miles from the dealer on an 06 ( they sent it out to a local tranny shop) i get a call saying its all set. i get a mile down the street and it acts up again. i turn around bring it in. Another 2 weeks later they figure out it was the speed control sensor the whole time.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

2nd prime is the gear that gets used on downshifts from 3rd-2nd. When you drive from a stop the gears go as follows 1-2-3-4-.....5(5spds only)when you pass someone or climb up a hill while you are in motion the trans downshifts as follows 4-3-2nd prime-1 2nd gear is only used in upshifts never down shift. 2nd prime is a passing gear and is a taller gear so it can be driven it up to 70-80mph. I think it's a useless gear unless you have really tall gears like 3:55's or less. It's just a weak gear and Chrysler has done nothing to improve it

Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I thought that 2nd prime failed mostly on highly modified Rams. I didn't think stock trucks could blow this gear. That being said if you are having your trans rebuilt and have the option to put in a different 2nd prime, go for it.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
2nd prime is the gear that gets used on downshifts from 3rd-2nd. When you drive from a stop the gears go as follows 1-2-3-4-.....5(5spds only)when you pass someone or climb up a hill while you are in motion the trans downshifts as follows 4-3-2nd prime-1 2nd gear is only used in upshifts never down shift. 2nd prime is a passing gear and is a taller gear so it can be driven it up to 70-80mph. I think it's a useless gear unless you have really tall gears like 3:55's or less. It's just a weak gear and Chrysler has done nothing to improve it
Agreed 100%, 2-prime is a POS in our trannies and almost every tranny failure I've seen in even a mildly modded Hemi has been 2-prime. For those of you running Superchips, you can request a "tune" from them getting this gear "out of the way" for you and considerably lessen the liklihood of a transmission failure. A simple request on their forum is all you need to do, and have your tuners serial # handy. They will usually have a tune ready for you to d/l within a week or two.
At least they would do this as of about a year or so ago when I had mine done...

To the original poster: Get a second opinion before dropping that kind of jack! There are many other factors that can contribute to poor transmission performance that DO NOT require a new tranny or rebuild. Many people who have been told they need a tranny have ultimately "fixed" their problem with a new sensor or even just a fluid change...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-28-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: New tranny at 72000 miles.