3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

getting leveling lift for a 08 4x4 1500 any personal expericences? and nerf bars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 PM
dazed01
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ****yhern
i have the 2.5" tgc kit (topguncustomz.com) and have had no problems. i still havent used 4x4, but im not worried about it. as far as fitting 35's do a search and youll find if your trying to do 35's with stock 20 inch rims youll have issues. you will need spacers/adapters. some have issues with rubbing some do not.
I have the 17" trx4 wheels.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:58 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

My cousin had Westin's on his 2500 CTD, and they were crap. They bent right in the middle. Perhaps he a bad set, I have no idea. He bought the Nasta bars (all stainless including the mounts) and he loves them. He says they are much more sturdy and he hasn't had any issues with them. They were also cheaper.

I plan on buying a set of the Nasta's, especially since I'm getting a 2" level kit shortly.

joe

Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i am unsure of the 17s with 35s. you may have some rubbing but hopefully someone will chime in.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 PM
dazed01
Veteran

I see a few kits have a stopper to keep the suspention from overtraveling and damaging the axle. Any input on that?

Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM
txj
Rookie

I removed the HBS front leveling kit this morning. Results: i get a shimmy in 2wd at around 55/60 mph and I still have the shudder in 4x4 while accelerating and while cruising. Calling the dealer again tomorrow. this will be the 3rd time back in.

I f'n hate this truck!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by txj; 11-30-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Originally Posted by txj
I removed the HBS front leveling kit this morning. Results: i get a shimmy in 2wd at around 55/60 mph and I still have the shudder in 4x4 while accelerating and while cruising. Calling the dealer again tomorrow. this will be the 3rd time back in.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. On the other hand, selfishly, I'm glad to know that the spacers didn't appear to cause your problem!

joe

Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
robeeto

I blew a strut on mine, ans I was planning on leveling kit anyway, so I went with the Skyjacker performance leveling strut kit. I know they work well for many guys here, but I dont like the idea of a spacer. Im very happy with it.
I bought stainless tube steps from Summit, $219. I'm happy with them.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
jmr
Rookie

I've got the Westin Nerf bars and like them, got them from AutoAnything.com for $250.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Originally Posted by txj

I think I need to take my truck into the dealer ship I'm having the same issue

Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
txj
Rookie

Originally Posted by TANKZ400
I think I need to take my truck into the dealer ship I'm having the same issue
i started documenting my problems. if I need to i will be contacting a lawyer.

I've attached where I am so far...

2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
4.7L V8 engine
VIN#: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Purchase date: July, 26th 2008
Dealer: Towne Dodge

Problem – shudder in 4x4 hi mode operation on any surface

Summary of activity:
11/21/08 – problem with shudder in 4x4 mode – 12:37pm – 6,602 miles
11/21/08 – into Towne Dodge for diagnosis – replace front drive shaft
11/23/08 – tested and problem still exists
11/23/08 – dropped back off at Towne Dodge after hours drop off – 6,684 miles
11/24/08 – Towne Dodge could not find the source of the problem
11/25/08 – Towne Dodge to attempt additional diagnosis – “clocked” the front drive shaft
11/25/08 – problem still persists, dealer could not fix the problem
11/25/08 – emailed Chrysler with the problem
11/26/08 – called Chrysler customer service line to make a complaint about the problem
11/29/08 – 4x4 shudder still exists & developing shimmy in 2wd at highway speed
12/01/08 – called Towne Dodge to get the truck back in

Details:

On November 21st 2008 we got a few inches of snow. I put my truck into 4x4 hi mode and proceeded to pull out of my driveway. Immediately I could feel a shimmy in the truck. As I accelerated I could feel the shimmy develop into a shudder throughout the truck. I took the truck out of 4x4 hi mode and finished my drive to work.

Once at work I called the dealer’s service department and spoke with Kevin Jordan. He was able to get me in at 1pm the same day (November 21st). They diagnosed the problem as a “bent front drive shaft” between the transfer case and front differential. They replaced the drive shaft.

We had no snow so I was unable to test the result of their diagnosis until Sunday, November 23rd. After testing on the 23rd I found that the Shudder was still there, just as bad as before the replacement drive shaft was installed. I took the truck to the dealer overnight drop off with a note about the problem still remaining.

I called the dealer Monday (November 24th) morning at 8am to make sure they not only got my note, but that they understood that the issue was still the same. At 3pm Monday afternoon I called them to see what they had found. The result was that they could not find any issues that would cause the problem.

Unsatisfied with that response I told them that I was on my way and that I wanted the service manager to ride with me. When I arrived the service manager told me that he had just taken the truck for a ride, and that there was “definitely a problem with the truck in 4x4 mode”, and that he wanted to keep it another day to try “clocking” or indexing the front drive shaft.

I told him that I would need a loaner vehicle by Tuesday afternoon if they were unable to find the problem and wanted to keep it longer, as I was leaving for Washington, DC to visit my daughter.

The dealer arranged for me to have a loaner through Enterprise car rental, and I received a call from an Enterprise rep that evening (Monday, November 24th).

Tuesday afternoon (November 25th) I called the dealer. The result was that, while they were able to slightly lessen the shudder by indexing the front drive shaft, the shudder was still there in 4x4 hi mode. Kevin informed me that they had called the Chrysler STAR line and was told by Greg that the shudder in 4x4 hi mode is normal for all Dodge 1500 trucks while in 4WD, and that 4x4 hi mode was for OFF ROAD conditions. This is not an off road truck, nor did it come equipped with all terrain or off road tires, just street radials.

Still not happy with this response, I picked up my truck from the dealer Tuesday afternoon, November 25th.

That night I logged on to the Chrysler website and sent an email complaint to Chrysler Corp. outlining my experience with this truck.

In addition I called the Chrysler Customer Service line on Wednesday, November 26th at 10:05am before leaving on my trip. I outlined my issue with the Customer Service Representative who then assigned me a reference # (18120065) and then transferred me to the corporate representative. I thin outlined my issue with yet another Chrysler representative. That person asked me, “What were my expectations of Chrysler?” I stated that I either wanted the truck fixed or I did not want the truck. That I had not purchased a 4wd vehicle for it not to work properly. That I have owned 3 Dodge Rams since the mid 1990’s and have never had any issues of this sort. Her response was that she was going to contact the dealer and have them take a more thorough look at the truck.

I received a return email on Wednesday, November 26th. The contents of the email are attached. Chrysler assigned me a reference # (18118144) as well as an email case # (2141336).

Wednesday, November 26th my wife and I left for Washington, DC and returned on Saturday, November 29th. While taking our trip my wife noticed there was a slight shimmy at highway speed while in 2wd operation.

As of today, Sunday, November 30th the shudder in 4x4 mode is still there, and the shimmy in 2wd operation seems to have gotten worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found that this is a problem that exists beyond my case and that many after market parts manufacturers have had to develop parts to correct the problem.

This was found on the Ready Lift website:
Due to a design issue with Dodge Ram front differential and suspension, some owners may experience a vibration in the front end when in 4x4 mode, or a violent shaking vibration of the front wheels when going over a bump at speed. These two symptoms are often called a "death wobble", but actually appear to be two different problems with the Ram truck.

The 4HI mode vibration is a vibration or shudder that occurs when accelerating in 4x4 high mode. This affects Dodge Ram 1500 non mega cabs; Dodge couldn't discover why their stock trucks would do this for some customers. The solution for Dodge was to state that there is no problem and that all of the new Rams will shudder or shake when in 4x4 high. This symptom appears isolated to 2006-2008 1500 non-Mega Cab model trucks and when in 4-hi mode.

The steering wobble or vibration has to do with the steering/ball joint equipment.
Dodge had released TSBs on this problem - Daimler Technical Service Bulletin # 22-005-06. This affects 1994-2008 Dodge Ram 1500MC/2500/3500 4x4's.

This was found on the Pro-Comp website:
• Precision crafted one-piece cross members and high strength extended steering knuckle preserve factory geometry and alignment specs.
• Maintains factory steering rack location to increase ease of installation.
• MX 2.75c performance coil over front shocks with MX6 rear shock option. Also available with strut spacers to retain the factory struts and nitrogen charged ES9000 rear shocks.
Complete 6” lift system with driveline correction for vibration free 4WD operation.• Recommended maximum tire and rim specifications: 35”x12.50” tire on 18”- 20” diameter rims with 4.625” maximum backspacing. Allows use of factory 20”rims and tires.
• Suspension installation time 7-8 hours – minimal cutting required – no exhaust
Modification.
Transfer case index ring and transmission mount included for vibration free
4WD operation.

Last edited by txj; 11-30-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: getting leveling lift for a 08 4x4 1500 any personal expericences? and nerf bars?