3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converters truth or myth

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 AM
ried69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammer, can I say one thing? I hate you, really do. I am about 110% lost right now. lol
You have confused me. So right now you are speaking a foreign language. At first I thought I knew what you were saying for the stall speeds, and now you have me lost. Also, you made me want a better transmission, but that's too rich for my blood right now. So I'm just gonna say that I understand what you are talking about as I beat my head against the wall trying to comprehend it.
Btw, don't really hate you, you just confused me horribly.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Truth, Dodge Trannies are among the least efficient on the planet. A 345 HP Hemi in a Dodge Truck usually dynos about 235-240 RWHP...
Maybe on a mustang dyno but not on a dynojet....there's vids all over youtube of stock rams dynoing around 265. Mines going on a dyno soon to get a semi base run (cai, magnaflow) before I get a predator and headers. I'll take a vid and post the results...it'll probably be in a new thread though.

This guy got 279 with just blowmasters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIj3Oa4eDC8

267 here with huge wheels...no list of mods so i'm assuming it's stock or very close to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpyG5...eature=related

Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 AM
BONESTOCK

just call suncoast and tell them what you want.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by fox_racer627
how hard is it to put a new torque convertor in? Can you loosen up the tranny enough to put one in or do you have to take it out?
i'm wondering the same thing. a TQ can fit into the budget as long as i can do the install (once its warm out).

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know 'bought that. I know I've done/will do more on my truck than 95% of non-mechanics (by trade) would attempt. I've done everything on my truck except the gears and LSD, but I have NO intention of messing with an automatic transmission on my own!

A man's got to know his limitations...

Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

anautomatic transmission i won't mess with. but i'm talkin torque converter, no clips, valves or nothin. it shouldn't be too bad.

and now that you brought it up, how hard is it to install just the LSD, not gears?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Feej, 'cmon man, what you need a LSD for? Your idea of off-roadin' is pulling in the driveway...

Actually, I've never done one, but unlike the ring & pinion installs, I don't think it requires any "special" tools. Had I not been paying for the gears at that time, I would have researched the LSD install and attempted that myself...

Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM
dyehard
Amateur

so now i kind of understand how this could help but what kind of improvements are we talking from what i understand you lose about 25% of your hp though the drivetrain so after a new torque converter what should i be seeing come through also so the lower stall speed woudl be better the stock ram has a stall speed of 2300 rpm so what would be the best stall speed to get 2000 2100 or lower

Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Some of the high end makers "claim" to cut the drivetrain loss by as much as half. I don't know if I buy that, maybe some of the weekend strip guys can chime in on that. I'm just basically a suspension/lift/exhaust/tune-up & fairly simple bolt-on mod, weekend do-it-yourselfer.
But if the claims are anywhere close, that's a BIG GAIN! Now I have seen dyno's run on the Nissan Titan, not long after it's release when it was basically smokin' Hemi's with less HP. Even though the Titan is rated at only 317 HP at the engine, the RWHP was measured at about 25 HP greater than the Hemi! Is this ALL Tranny/Torque Converter related? I don't know, again, I'm far from an expert on this. But based on this, I'd kinda like to see some dyno's of a Hemi with a good aftermarket Torque Converter rated at the same stall as the stock on for comparison...

Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 AM
TANKZ400
All Star
Talking

All I can tell you is that I have a 5200 stall in my nova and its very fun!

Quick Reply: torque converters truth or myth