3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

torque converters truth or myth

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd think for a normal street driver, an aftermarket converter that stalls in the ~2500 area would be perfect. As stated earlier, it'll already be more aggressive than stock and combined with a few hundred more rpm worth of speed, it should really wake up the response.

Don't forget - while the converter is below its stall speed, it is multiplying the torque output so you're putting down even more (like 2x or more) than your engine is producing at that point. This gets you off the line even faster. A little extra slip won't bother me because most of us have trans coolers anyway. The extra available power and responsiveness makes it a win-win situation.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM
BONESTOCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this thread doing a search, and i've very interested...lets bring this puppy back to life. I want to know if anyone knows real dyno numbers (or at least close guesses) and how much an aftermarket tq converter will improve the power loss. If it improves the loss by even 10%, we're looking at a 35 hp gain to the rear wheels for under $500 (plus install). Not a bad deal.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
Found this thread doing a search, and i've very interested...lets bring this puppy back to life. I want to know if anyone knows real dyno numbers (or at least close guesses) and how much an aftermarket tq converter will improve the power loss. If it improves the loss by even 10%, we're looking at a 35 hp gain to the rear wheels for under $500 (plus install). Not a bad deal.
Hemi's put down around 270rwhp...so there's a 75hp loss or 21%. APS claims the stock TC loss is 14% of that or 11hp...their TC is 6% more efficient bringing loss to 8% or 6hp. So there's a 5 hp gain from their TC. Your math is so high because you're taking 10% off the total loss of 21% and you can't do that...that would make the total drivetrain loss only 11% or 311rwhp and that's way too low. Manual cars are barely int hat ballpark.

In most apps a TC won't even have a hp increase...the gain is in the stall speed and torque multiplication.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:50 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

wow...never looked at it like that haha. so its like $500 for 6rwhp. hmm... no thanks. after the "typical" performance mods, gas engines make it sooo exensive to get these last few extra horsepower. ahhhh i just morrrrre. but im too cheap to do it!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I think it would still be worth getting...stalled and geared autos are pretty wicked. If you do both at the same time it'll be a night and day difference.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

geared as in rear end? just ordered my 4.56. they'll be installed next week. cant wait. and stalled...meaning a higher stall speed in the aftermarket tq converter than stock (higher than 2300)?? I use my truck as a daily driver, and wont ever race it. period. Whats the best stall speed for me?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
dyehard
Amateur

what else is out there for making the tranny better if the tc is not that much more efficient than what can be done. a shift kit or just use the sc tuner and do the tweaks

Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A better converter is always a good upgrade and with Dodges it seems to be even more effective.

BTW -- if the stock converter loses 14% of the rated crank hp (47.6 hp) and the aftermarket converter loses only 8% (27.2 hp), that's a 20whp gain from the converter alone, plus the multiplication bonus on the bottom end. That's noticeable power.

The sooner you get the Hemi into its midrange, the sooner you get to enjoy the real power it's capable of making. A converter will really wake it up.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Severe is saying it's 14% of the 21%...which is wrong. 14% of the total loss is caused by the TQ.

From APS website:
our super awesome can't get it anywhere else torque converter "brings the efficiency factory from the factory 82% to 93%. This can allow us to guarantee you a minimum 25-30 rear-wheel HP increase."

Quick Reply: torque converters truth or myth