3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Nitto Dura Grappler or Toyo Open Country?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitto Dura Grappler or Toyo Open Country?

What do you think is a better tire? Ive got a pretty decent deal on both. about $205 a tire for either the nitto dura grappler 285/70R/17 Load Range E or the Toyo Open Country All terrain in the same size and load rating.

and also, what would you all think about going to a 285/75R/17? so id get that extra inch in height. i want to fill my fender well up as much as possible without going to 35's.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the toyo oc at's and i kind of wish i got the nittos (for looks reasons only) i love the toyos they are a great tire but the nittos look more aggressive to me. i personally would go with toyo open country mt's those have a awesome lug pattern.
the toyo at's handle anything,ride smooth and are quiet. i have never had the nittos just looked at them. that was my dilemma when i got tires but got a better deal on the toyos at the time.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

yeah i like the look of the nittos better. and all the reviews i read online on them are nothing but good. but every tire place ive talked to locally has just bashed nittos, and said they are way too soft and they would be surprised if they lasted more than 30k miles. but none of them have seen or used the dura grapplers. so i dunno, thats why im asking you guys, a couple of you seem fairly trustworthy

Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Are you looking at the dura or terra grapplers? The dura is a highway tire. If you are comparing the dura to the toyo I would get the toyo's.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

yes i am looking at the dura. it is a hwy tire, but even still has a pretty aggressive/deep tread pattern.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I've never seen them in person and their website doesn't have good pics. Are they meant to be an AT tire that does well on the highway?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i misread that on the nittos. i thought you were looking for the terra's. ive never seen the dura's in person but they dont look that aggressive in the pics on the tire retail sites. i would go with the toyos over the nitto duragrapplers too. does the local tire store have both in house to look at side by side? if i got the toyo at's again i would have get wider ( i got stock 275 60 20 ) i was going to throw 1/4 spacers on just to get a little more of an aggressive stance.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

well, i ended up with the Toyos. Getting them put on tomorrow morning. ended up deciding to go with the all terrain over the hwy tire cuz these last couple days got me realizing that bad weather actually can happen in san diego. got a lot of snow over a mountain pass i drive through to get home for x-mas. and snow is getting within 15-20 miles of me. will keep you all posted.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
nathanp
Captain

i have toyo open country M/T's on my truck and personally would never buy a toyo again, used to have some firestone tires on, half the price and way better, quiter, lasted longer, just all around not impressed with the toyo's

Quick Reply: Nitto Dura Grappler or Toyo Open Country?