3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Talk about the right time

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:51 PM
Ridinhigh
|
All Star
Default Talk about the right time

Alright so I took my truck in for an overhaul tune up. Since I had no previous knowledge of the previous owners maintence which proved to be none. I decided to do this after a thread about maintence and thank the lord I did. It turned out I was low on the rear differential fluid and had it replace also the transmission fluid according to the mechanic said it was about 15k overdue, I had a collapsed air filter! , spark plugs were about burned up, had all the lines flushed, also brand new brake pads needed on all four wheels. I also had the computer reprogrammed for my bigger tires. Hopefully this will solve my problems of bad gas mileage and I am glad because it probably just saved me replacing something a lot bigger and more expensive repair but now it rides like a King and hopefully nothing else will sneak up on me but I think I covered about everything in the tune up

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:54 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

very nice. how much did that all run you if you dont mind my asking? i just flushed my trans and got new brakes put on as well. i think the trans shifts smoother after the servicing.

Old 12-18-2008 | 05:04 PM
Ridinhigh
|
All Star

well since my father works at a dealership i get a discounted rate but even with the discount on parts and service it ran around 450 bucks so for the average joe it would have been closer to 600 hundred for the full get up i believe but i get the bill tomorrow so i will let you know exactly if you want it

Old 12-18-2008 | 08:01 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

I going to do my front and rear diffs soon.

Im thinking it might increase milage with less parasitic drag from the OLD fluid. Maybe I can get a half mile per gallon

Old 12-18-2008 | 08:06 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

How many miles are on it?

I remember when I got out of high school, I bought a used 97 GMC. Drove it six months and tranny started shifting hard. Trans oil was burned, found the rear axle was sprung and leaking fluid out of both ends. I learned a lesson on checking/replacing fluids asap when buying used vehicles. (Also learned a lesson on buying GMC

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:23 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

yea i bought my truck used and if i would have been smarter a year ago i would have changed out all the fluids right away.

Old 12-19-2008 | 02:23 PM
Ridinhigh
|
All Star

well i also had to have all 16 spark plugs replaced and it turns out instead of the hemi tick being a problem i had a broken exhaust bolt and they had to take out the enitre exhaust manifold to get to the broken bolt so what was supposed to be a regular full tune has turned into over a thousand dollar tune up but the bright side you could say is that it will make the truck run so much better and is needed to kepp it going for a lot longer and i cant wait to see what gas mileage i will be getting after having all of this done before the tune i was gettting 9.8 mpg and cant wait to see what i am going to get

Old 12-19-2008 | 03:08 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

dang 9.8? do you stomp it?! mylast bill was about $600. and that was for a trans flush, brakes and driver side door lock repair. seems like you got a better deal for 600. i think you will definatley get more mpgs!!!i saw on one of tose shows on the speed channel, they took a mid 90's camaro and did everything you did and added a new cai and got 2 mpg gain. good luck!

Quick Reply: Talk about the right time