3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing radio help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:23 PM
stevo3176
|
Default Changing radio help

I have the stock dodge ram single cd radio with a current sirius satellite subscription. I hate the radio and want to replaced it. I have replaced everystock radio I have owned, but before I do this I have a question for someone who has personally replaced theirs. My question is how does the sirius radio hook up to the new radio. Is there certain radios I have to look for? Does the siruis have a reciever that is seperate from the stock radio or is it bundled inwith the stock radio. Like I said I have done radios, amps and speakers but I am new to the sate radio. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

It does have a separate receiver, but I'm not sure what aftermarket head units will work. I upgraded to the factory RAQ 6 disc MP3 unit myself.

Old 12-21-2008 | 02:51 PM
stevo3176
|

Anyone else changed their radio?

Old 12-21-2008 | 03:10 PM
kincer04hemi

Check with your local stereo shop or crutchfield.com they will have what you need. I got my Kenwood from there they are very knowledgeable.

Old 12-21-2008 | 03:14 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Old 12-23-2008 | 10:24 PM
stevo3176
|

I checked the crutchfield site out and it did not answer my question. I just want to know how people with aftermarket radios got their sirius to work through their new radios. Does the sirius reciever just hook up to the new radio and work? Or do I need to get a new reciever for the radio? I m just looking for someone who changed their radio by them self and got theri sirius to work..

Old 12-23-2008 | 10:56 PM
sos
All Star

I don't think any aftermarket radios work with the stock Sirius receiver, so you would have to replace that too. I looked into it and found that in order to get everything I wanted, I would have to buy a new head unit, Sirius receiver, special adapter for the Infinity system, special adapter to use the steering wheel controls, antenna adapter because Chrysler uses a weird connector, and either a plate to fill the extra space in the bezel (which is inexpensive, but I didn't like the looks of) or buy the NAV bezel and get a double DIN radio. Also, the Sirius antenna in the truck doesn't fit with other Sirius receivers without modification, so you would have to add another one or modify the connector - that was a big killer for me because I already have one on the truck, I don't want to add another one.

In all it was going to cost me a fortune, so I ended up buying a RAQ radio (the 6 disc stock radio) off eBay and installed it instead of the REF (very basic) radio that came in my truck. It's not the best radio in the world, but it does the main things I wanted - works with the steering wheel controls and shows the names of the songs and station names. Also, at $180, it was a LOT less than I would have spent on an aftermarket setup. There are a few gripes I have (like you can't see the time or station when you press the info button to see the artist/song name, and if you change channels it defaults back to the time and station name, not the artist/song name), but that's relatively minor and just an annoyance. In all, I'm happy with it. I'm not an audiophile and I'm not that picky about how it sounds. Pretty much anything is better than the radio in my GMC work van .

Old 12-23-2008 | 11:00 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by stevo3176
I checked the crutchfield site out and it did not answer my question. I just want to know how people with aftermarket radios got their sirius to work through their new radios. Does the sirius reciever just hook up to the new radio and work? Or do I need to get a new reciever for the radio? I m just looking for someone who changed their radio by them self and got theri sirius to work..
I changed my radio and never continued the sirus even though it's still active. However, you'll need a completely new tuner interface that is compatible with your new aftermarket radio in order for any service. I don't think you can even swap from the 1yr free of your factory radio onto your aftermarket radio because at that point, they know they have you and you'll end up paying for it either way. I chose to opt out of the service. I have the Pioneer Avic-F90bt that has the SD card reader in the face of it. I have hundreds of songs on teeny tiny sd cards that all commercial free! I also have the USB cord ran into my glovebox for my memory stick and the Ipod cable that runs down to the cupholders. Who needs sattelite with all those features

Old 12-24-2008 | 03:17 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Originally Posted by sos
I don't think any aftermarket radios work with the stock Sirius receiver, so you would have to replace that too. I looked into it and found that in order to get everything I wanted, I would have to buy a new head unit, Sirius receiver, special adapter for the Infinity system, special adapter to use the steering wheel controls, antenna adapter because Chrysler uses a weird connector, and either a plate to fill the extra space in the bezel (which is inexpensive, but I didn't like the looks of) or buy the NAV bezel and get a double DIN radio. Also, the Sirius antenna in the truck doesn't fit with other Sirius receivers without modification, so you would have to add another one or modify the connector - that was a big killer for me because I already have one on the truck, I don't want to add another one.

In all it was going to cost me a fortune, so I ended up buying a RAQ radio (the 6 disc stock radio) off eBay and installed it instead of the REF (very basic) radio that came in my truck. It's not the best radio in the world, but it does the main things I wanted - works with the steering wheel controls and shows the names of the songs and station names. Also, at $180, it was a LOT less than I would have spent on an aftermarket setup. There are a few gripes I have (like you can't see the time or station when you press the info button to see the artist/song name, and if you change channels it defaults back to the time and station name, not the artist/song name), but that's relatively minor and just an annoyance. In all, I'm happy with it. I'm not an audiophile and I'm not that picky about how it sounds. Pretty much anything is better than the radio in my GMC work van .
-First bolded- Thank you lord, there is an adapter I can get that will make an aftermarket work with the steering wheel controls? My ol' ladys factory in-dash 6disc quit working, but she refuses to lose this option.

-Second bolded- Where in the flipping hell did you find that oem 6disc for $180? I know you said ebay, but not the same ebay Ive been looking on. I haven't seen them for less than $275!!!!!

Old 12-24-2008 | 07:35 AM
sos
All Star

Yeah, Crutchfield sells an adapter that makes head units work with the steering wheel controls. You have to find a head unit that says it will work with them, then you have to find the right adapter... I forget how I found it on their site, either it suggested it to me or I just did research and found it that way. If you can't figure it out, you could always call them. It's not exactly cheap, I think my truck required two separate pieces that totaled about $150, but I could be wrong.

This is the one I bought... It doesn't look like he has any more right now, but he's sold more in the past so if you keep checking he might get more. Very good seller, he was fast and the radio was brand new. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120335047354

Quick Reply: Changing radio help