3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BFG Long Trail T/A Tour tire --- any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all welcome to DF. ( nevermind i just noticed youve been a round for a while my bad) but for others who hesitate to to join just ignore the sh!theads on the site theres always a few everywhere you go. no need to bash people for a question thats what forums are for even if it is redundant.
anyways:
the bfg long trails are alright. never had them on my dodge had them on another truck i used to plow with. for the mkoney they arent really that great. check out toyo open country at's i think they are a great at tire for the money. i got them for $220ish installed per tire. they are great in the snow and rain. they are very quiet. I love them. also the nitto terra grapplers are compareable too. look around for other at tires in that price range before you buy. there other that are better for the price. that just my opinion

Last edited by nickahern1; 12-22-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
HemiNerd

Forgot to mention, I got my Zeons for about $167 a tire. So quite a low price for an all terrain. But people do usually pick the Nitto Terra Grapplers, Toyos or Coopers from what I have seen and read around that price.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

'Dog, while I encourage everyone to use the "Search" feature, there is nothing prohibiting anyone from posting a question, even if the same question was posted an hour ago! I would suggest that if you don't want to see "another tire thread", skip on by it to the next one...

As far as the "Long Trails" go, I actually have a set on my Grand Cherokee. When I bought it they were on it, and they looked brand new. My guess is the previous owner had bald or nearly bald tires and replaced them with the cheapest that fit just to sell the vehicle.
Personally I would not buy them myself but after about 19k miles they have been wearing well, handle pretty good on pavement and rain. Now I've not taken them far off-road, maybe just down the trail or across a field to go fishin'. They have what us Redneck's refer to as a "soccer mom" tread.
I don't think they are as bad as some of the reviews I've read, but at the same time, I think there are better choices out there, especially for a truck, for not much more money...

Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are the highest mileage tire BfG makes. They are also very comfortable on the highway.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bfg T/A KO's on mine, and I think I might go with the cooper zeons when I get new tires next year. these bfg's wear soo fast, and there not that good of a tire for the price of them imo.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
chefred112
All Star

im running the longtrails now on my truck and I gotta say...these are the longest wearing ones I've ever used (05 with 146k) so far...and considering I drive very aggressive, the tead hardly shows any wear...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nickahern1
first of all welcome to DF. ( nevermind i just noticed youve been a round for a while my bad) but for others who hesitate to to join just ignore the sh!theads on the site theres always a few everywhere you go. no need to bash people for a question thats what forums are for even if it is redundant.
anyways:
the bfg long trails are alright. never had them on my dodge had them on another truck i used to plow with. for the mkoney they arent really that great. check out toyo open country at's i think they are a great at tire for the money. i got them for $220ish installed per tire. they are great in the snow and rain. they are very quiet. I love them. also the nitto terra grapplers are compareable too. look around for other at tires in that price range before you buy. there other that are better for the price. that just my opinion
I gotta agree with this, ive been running the toyo OC's on my last few trucks. Great all around A/T tire IMO, quiet, nice ride, seem to be long lasting...

Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They are a great tire. Sam's club has a much better price on them
I had them on my 01 F150 4x4 and have no complaints.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

I looked at a set of them for my 98 a few years ago, but I ended up getting some Uniroyal Liberators because it's just a farm truck now. Back when I was researching the Long Trails I did find out that they had one of the lowest rolling resistance ratings available and good projected tread life. I'm not sure if this info still stands so just do a little research online and you should be able to get a pretty good idea. I've heard BFG's are good tires, but they're kinda high. You get what you pay for though...most of the time anyway.

Quick Reply: BFG Long Trail T/A Tour tire --- any good ?