3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi

Old 12-25-2008, 01:25 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
If you have a stock or fairly stock truck I would buy a SC. Diablo has a lot of good features for people with modified engines but if you are close to stock you can't beat the SC. There have been some comparisons that I have read that show the canned tunes on the DSP and SC to be very similar in power gains. And don't forget that you can get a used SC for about $200 which is much less than the DSP. As far as shifting goes, I love the shifts I get with the SC.
I don't agree with that...sure you can get a used SC for cheaper but you can also buy a new predator and have a better resale value.

Turning the MDS off was the best thing i've done on the ram with the exhaust being a close second . Going 75 on the freeway i'm only turning 1950rpms with an 3.55 rear...65 is around 1700rpms. I think that's why my highway mpg is close to what it was with MDS...well that and the tune. With MDS it was spinning around 2300rpms.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I don't agree with that...sure you can get a used SC for cheaper but you can also buy a new predator and have a better resale value.
Of course the predator would have a higher resale value than the SC, you are paying more for the predator in the first place. I would guess the resale would be about $120 higher since that is how much more the DSP than the SC. On a stock or nearly stock truck you can't bet the value you get with a SC.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:18 PM
JR 06
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I used the 91octane tune on my predator and got a steady 18mpg on the highway in snow condition in 4wd mode running at 65mph. Count on 19-21mpg for highway in 2wd mode. That's all with the MDS turned off!

I wasn't touching those numbers with the MDS enabled with the factory tune. Not to mention that the city shifting feels completely normal now and it was a world of difference once installed. I reccomend it for anyone with an aftermarket catback to get rid of that helicopter sound. That's the only reason I bought it. Now the fuel mileage has been outstanding! Much better than expected. I use 93octane with the 91 tune because we have 10% ethanol in our gas up here in NY and that drop the octane rating. I used 91octane, but got poor results. This tank has made the world of difference.
Actually ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline. E10(10% ethanol, 90% gas) actually is about 2-3 octane higher than pure gas, and if our hemi's were flex fuel you could run E85 which is typically about 105 octane.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Ram4wd
Rookie

Hi everyone,

I like this idea of turning off the MDS on my 2006 1500 RCLB Hemi Ram. But ... what are the long-term effects of turning off doing this?

I ask, as aren't the MDS and the non-MDS Hemi's constructed differently?

These programmers turn off the MDS part of the computer program, but what about all the MDS related mechanical components?

Anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No, you should be fine running with MDS off all the time. They've been selling kits that contain core plugs for a hardware solution to shut MDS off since late '06 with no reported problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Of course the predator would have a higher resale value than the SC, you are paying more for the predator in the first place. I would guess the resale would be about $120 higher since that is how much more the DSP than the SC. On a stock or nearly stock truck you can't bet the value you get with a SC.
I dunno what you're smoking but a new SC 3815 costs $350 http://www.jegs.com/i/Superchips/848...FQMCagod6yVMCg ....same as the predator. Actually my g/f bought mine for under $350 shipped with the usb cable and ac adapter from moes. I sold my 3 year old GM predator for $280 a couple years ago...you couldn't sell a even slightly used SC for that now. That's what I mean by resale.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 12-30-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram4wd
Hi everyone,

I like this idea of turning off the MDS on my 2006 1500 RCLB Hemi Ram. But ... what are the long-term effects of turning off doing this?

These programmers turn off the MDS part of the computer program, but what about all the MDS related mechanical components?

Actually it's the other way around. There have been numerous people asking if mds will prematurely wear out the cylinder walls since it's the same cylinders that don't fire when MDS is enabled. They do not alternate. Chrysler claims no extra wear has been reported. I suppose we'll find out when enough have the miles to prove otherwise.

Essentially when you disable MDS, the engine just acts as it normally would. All MDS is, is an ecu program that controls the special lifters, that's all. If the ecu doesn't recognize the mds when it's turned off, the engine operates as if mds never existed. It's a completely different program written for the main program if that makes any sense. It's like Microsoft Office on your computer. If you send it to the Recycle bin and permanantly delete it, your computer still runs without any glitches. Actually it runs better because there's less files...lol

sorry, but it's been awhile since I have shared another one of my Anaologies with everyone...hehehehe

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ram4wd
Hi everyone,

I've wondered this myself since I disabled it. I'm thinking down the road the solenoids in the block might spring a leak...or if disabled for a long time one of the pins in a collapsible lifter might not push in if MDS is reactivated. Everything breaks over time..

On the bright side i'm going to put 30 weight in her for the first time....I never liked using 20 **** water.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I've wondered this myself since I disabled it. I'm thinking down the road the solenoids in the block might spring a leak...or if disabled for a long time one of the pins in a collapsible lifter might not push in if MDS is reactivated. Everything breaks over time..

On the bright side i'm going to put 30 weight in her for the first time....I never liked using 20 **** water.

Wouldn't that be great? Then you could sell your tuner and have the mds deactivated all the time without the use of a tuner....lol

Doesn't amatter to me, I have lifetime warranty and they can't prove sh*t.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 AM
khuenefeldt

I've read where many stated better gas mileage with MDS off. I don't understand this...MDS was utilized to increase gas mileage?

How can turning mds off increase gas mileage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi