3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 AM
illiniwag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi

Was wondering how to disable the MDS on an '06 Hemi. Thought that might help with the annoying buzz from the exhaust at highway speeds when going from 8 to 4 cylinders.
thanks,
Illiniwag

Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Aftermarket tuner is the only way. Either a Superchips tuner or Diablo Predator. Personally I would reccomend the Predator as it may still be onsale for $319 and mainly becuase I have heard bad things about the Superchips shifts. My predator tune shifts super smooth and you can also change anything you want as well as get custom tuning. Superchips is and will alsways be just a set tune and you can never change their tunes like you can with Diablo's Predator.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Nope, it's $335 now. You'll also have to buy the Interface kit to go with so that would make it an even $375. You can get them on Ebay for less, but most don't give the interface kit with it. http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...18518.2114.0.0

Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM
illiniwag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I used the 91octane tune on my predator and got a steady 18mpg on the highway in snow condition in 4wd mode running at 65mph. Count on 19-21mpg for highway in 2wd mode. That's all with the MDS turned off!

I wasn't touching those numbers with the MDS enabled with the factory tune. Not to mention that the city shifting feels completely normal now and it was a world of difference once installed. I reccomend it for anyone with an aftermarket catback to get rid of that helicopter sound. That's the only reason I bought it. Now the fuel mileage has been outstanding! Much better than expected. I use 93octane with the 91 tune because we have 10% ethanol in our gas up here in NY and that drop the octane rating. I used 91octane, but got poor results. This tank has made the world of difference.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Aftermarket tuner is the only way.
Not true, although the tuner is the easiest route.

You could buy one of the kits like the one KRC Performance sells. Includes lifters, core plugs & head gaskets. The benefit of doing it this way is you gain the cam lift of over .500" and 6000-7000 RPM range that the non-MDS Hemi's have. About $250 but requires a flash of the PCM to remove the MDS code. Might be a solid combo for performance with a Diablo to remove the code instead of going the performance shop or dealer route.
The biggest advantage of doing it this way is you gain the ability to use the much more aggressive cams that are available for the non-MDS Hemi as compared to those for the MDS Hemi. Of course, I only see people going this route who are trying to build up an off-road brute or a weekend strip truck...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

He asked simply how to disable it, not to revamp his engine. Most guys in his position want to just disable and maybe spend a few bucks or a few hours with simple tools. Not a few thousand and many man hours. It was one of those directed answers by coming to the conclusion that's what he was looking for. Heck, you could just drop in a crate motor or even swap out for the 2500 or mega cab motor and ecu if someone really wanted. You are correct about the cam/lifter package, but that's past many members realm of grasping as well as their capabilities!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I agree with you 'dog, that's why I stated that the tuner was the easiest route. Your solution, IMO was the correct one. Just not the only one.

I am the type that if a person asks a question, you give him ALL of his options and let him formulate his own opinion. Yes, 98% will go with (and should go with) just the tuner option, but there may always be the "power junkie" who will read this thread and want to got the other route.
You see, this way, that "power junkie" won't need to ask the same question all over again. I know things like that annoy some members of this forum ...

Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I agree with you 'dog, that's why I stated that the tuner was the easiest route. Your solution, IMO was the correct one. Just not the only one.

I am the type that if a person asks a question, you give him ALL of his options and let him formulate his own opinion. Yes, 98% will go with (and should go with) just the tuner option, but there may always be the "power junkie" who will read this thread and want to got the other route.
You see, this way, that "power junkie" won't need to ask the same question all over again. I know things like that annoy some members of this forum ...
I suppose if I answered the question in full, that would have cut down the possibilities of a multiple thread post for me to go bonkers again. ...lol

Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Uh yeah, my last sentence was a bit "tongue-in-cheek" there, buddy ...

Quick Reply: Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi