3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by khuenefeldt
I've read where many stated better gas mileage with MDS off. I don't understand this...MDS was utilized to increase gas mileage?

How can turning mds off increase gas mileage?
There's a few factors involved. In order to "turn off" MDS you need a programmer such as Superchips or Diablo Predator. Using them will help with gas mileage at the same time you trun off MDS.
Now, what I have come accross with my turck is that mds slows the truck down at highway speeds because the 4cyl just isn't enough power to keep the truck moving at a consistent speed, so that means I have to hit the gas hard enough for the mds to kick off, when it does the rpms go up in order to get back up to speed everytime the mds kicked in which would use more gas than if there was no mds to begin with. Think if you drove on the highway and had to drive 100 miles. You plan on driving 70mph the whole way, now every 2 miles your truck slows down from 70 to 66 or even 65 and then you have to speed back up to 70. Do that the entire way. You could just imagine how bad you would do!
MDS was created in a lab on a Dynomometer which is not real world. They do not calculate any mileage with wind factor other than estimated winshield speed wind nor do they incorporate any hills in their MPG summaries. MDS is a way to get around the Governments more strict regulations of emissions. That's pretty much it.
MDS has only proven good to me at speeds no higher than 50mph and on perfectly flat roads. Well I don't live in the desert, I live in a mountainous terrain, so MDS is useless to me. That's why I get better mileage with it off.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
tramark100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo Predator Works

Originally Posted by illiniwag
Was wondering how to disable the MDS on an '06 Hemi. Thought that might help with the annoying buzz from the exhaust at highway speeds when going from 8 to 4 cylinders.
thanks,
Illiniwag
Received the Diablo Predator few weeks ago. Be sure to get a serial cable and power supply and download the upgrade from Diablo site first.

What a difference. I tuned the truck with the Predator for the 91 Octane and disabled the MDS. Not sure on gas milege but the truck runs 100% better. Why couldn't Dodge do this?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 PM
sbowers115
Default deleting my mds on my 2006 hemi

can someone please help me...i am new to this and dont see anywhere in the tuner for an mds delete...is there something i need to download?? running predator v.9r12...this was the whole reason i bought the tuner

Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 AM
adventurer
Professional

Originally Posted by sbowers115
can someone please help me...i am new to this and dont see anywhere in the tuner for an mds delete...is there something i need to download?? running predator v.9r12...this was the whole reason i bought the tuner
Select the tune you are using now then select modify tune then select engine and you will find the MDS info there.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:56 PM
Mikelee81
Default Mds

Originally Posted by dirtydog
He asked simply how to disable it, not to revamp his engine. Most guys in his position want to just disable and maybe spend a few bucks or a few hours with simple tools. Not a few thousand and many man hours. It was one of those directed answers by coming to the conclusion that's what he was looking for. Heck, you could just drop in a crate motor or even swap out for the 2500 or mega cab motor and ecu if someone really wanted. You are correct about the cam/lifter package, but that's past many members realm of grasping as well as their capabilities!
OK so I have a question, if I put a 5.7 without mds in my truck what do I have to do?

Quick Reply: Disable MDS on 2006 Hemi