3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Ram_It!
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no inspection

i'm in georgia and there is no inspection i was just wondering what i could do without buying a exhaust kit to make my truck loud?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

get a cutout. no need for an exhaust kit thats costs rediculous money. either get a cutout installed before the stock muff or get a new muffler and have it put in place of stock muffler and remove resonators. smaller the muffler the louder it will be. our stock muffs are HUGE.... i wish i had no inspection. my truck couldnt really be much louder than it is already......

Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Ram_It!
Professional

thanks for the help but theres nothing i can just take out lol

Old 12-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Ram_It!
Professional

thanks, will that sound like crap or be a deep rumble and i have no clue what a bolt on tip is i'm a noob at modding lol

Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's gonna sound like crap when the MDS kicks in!!
Anything louder than a Magnaflow is gonna sound crappy with MDS.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 AM
chefred112
All Star

..remove the resonator...but like he said, mds will make it sound like crap...

Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Just buy a 3in SI/SO magnaflow replacement muffler. Measure the stock muffler length and buy 1 to match the size. I found 1 on ebay for 100 bucks shipped. Heres 2 links that would work for you just to give you an idea. I bought from this seller before. An overall good deal with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...1404QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...1865QQtcZphoto

Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Even though you are in Ga. be aware that rumors of a Federal Vehicle Inspection have been circling for the last couple of years. Don't be surprised if it happens by 2010! I'm probably in trouble because of my LT Headers, even though I've maintained my cats and have no CELs, from what I've heard, the CARB standards will be adopted. So, I'll fail.
Just a heads up before you go a 'choppin, you may find that within a year or two, you'll have to spend cash to put it back the way it was.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:32 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Even though you are in Ga. be aware that rumors of a Federal Vehicle Inspection have been circling for the last couple of years. Don't be surprised if it happens by 2010! I'm probably in trouble because of my LT Headers, even though I've maintained my cats and have no CELs, from what I've heard, the CARB standards will be adopted. So, I'll fail.
Just a heads up before you go a 'choppin, you may find that within a year or two, you'll have to spend cash to put it back the way it was.

NY has this already and the inspection station must hook up our OBD-II port up to the DMV database so they can scan our computer for trouble codes and make sure the ECU has properly reset itself with the Ready's. We are allowed one Not-ready out of 5, anything less we will fail.

That being said anything from 1996+ is OBD-II equipt and get's that check. Now My 1997 Mustang Cobra has LT headers, no cats, all of the emissions tubing removed from the factory and is supercharged. I have a custom SCT tune on that car and I pass the DMV OBD-II check. My local inspector turns cheeck on the no cats, but never have I heard of a place other than MD or CA failing for LT headers. My tuner turned off every prevailing emissions feature in the tune that I had done. This provides a reading for the database of "Not Applicable" which means the manufacturer never required that vehicle to have those features and it allows the car to pass.
Ohh, that car puts down 473rwhp/468rwtq for those interested...hehehehe and with 4:10 gears it still gets 22mpg's on the highway because of the supercharger. Before it, the car only got 17mpgs on the highway

So, even a Magnaflow muffler will be annoying with mds. The solution...A tuner to turn the MDS off. You'll see better mpg's too. You will need a 3ft long replacement muffler to fit where the original one is. Cheapest solution it to take everything off and have a glasspack welded on and have a local muffler shop custom bend a tailpipe that runs out the side in front of the rear tire and slap a tip on. It will look sweet and sound mean.

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-27-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:28 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

you could also drop in a K&N. if it goes right to the throttle body itll be really loud. i just dropped one in my truck and couldnt believe the sound, you wouldnt want a muffler after one of those, at least I dont!

Quick Reply: no inspection