3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

diff fluids

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I saw this bouncing around, I stopped on the way home and got fluid for mine. I just changed them both this evening...not too bad of a job. Getting the top bolts off the front diff is a little pain cause the PS rack is in the way, but other than that no issues.

The front fluid was thicker, almost cloudier, than the rear. It looked like the diff fluid on my old Ranger that ran 80w-90 gear oil. The rear looked brand new, but did have a few small metal flakes in the fluid. I don't have the rear LSD, so I'm guessing that's just normal wear?

BTW, the front took almost exactly 2 qts, and the rear took just over 2.5. I can't believe the service interval is 15K miles. That seems excessive, but this is only the 2nd truck I've owned.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Wapakfred
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irelandshemi
so im doing synthetic 75w-140 but if i dont have lsd i dont need posi fluid or anything else right?
What you said is true....the friction modifier os for the clutch pack on the limited slip...

Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wapakfred
What you said is true....the friction modifier os for the clutch pack on the limited slip...

How do I know if I have a limited slip? did they come stock off the lot?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
osufans
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a label inside the glove box that says what rear axle you have. The LSD was an option.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

I can get u an exact amount it you want, as far a fluid or diff type or anything else, call a local dodge dealership and talk to parts. All you need is your VIN number, and they can tell you what diff you have and fluid to use (as far as weight)

Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
irelandshemi
All Star

well i was gunna do it today but now that i got 3 inches of snow under the truck it may take a while to shovel it all out

Quick Reply: diff fluids