3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tail gate spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tail gate spoiler

so I got a tailgate spoiler for christmas and I decided to put it on today. what a PITA!!

I lined it all up and drilled the holes. then it comes with collapsable washers..... well they dont wanna collapse.. I had to take the cover off on the back of the tail gate so I could get in there with vise grips and stop it from spining with the bolt so it would colapse. well it worked with 3 of them, one of them I stripped all the thread out of it when I was cranking on the bolt. its collapsed half way, and now I cant get it out lol it was -9 out and my heater ran outta diesel and my shop was freakin cold so I gave up on it till tomorrow. I have no idea how im gonna do this now. I think I can just use tin snips to cut out and just use a nut and bolt for that hole.

did any one else have problems when they installed theirs?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

so you want pics of me ****ed up tail gate? hahahaha

Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

you'll get pics after I install it!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:53 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use long needle-nose pliers on the insert, then finish tightening/backing out. Even if you scratch the paint a little, it'll be covered by the spoiler. If knowing the small scratches are there, buy some touch-up paint first. Did you get the kit? I got the spoiler itself for like $10 used but in good shape, just had to buy the inserts. I didn't have any problems.

Last edited by HemiLonestar; 12-31-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw your truck doesnt look too bad with the black bumper, are you gonna paint it silver eventaully?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(if anyone knows where i can pick up one of these spoilers used, I would be extremely greatful!) cant find one in town that isnt $100

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

my mom got it from the dealer, so it came with the mounting kit. did you have to drill holes in your tail gate, then put in those gay retaining clips? thats where im stuck at. it was -12 today so I didnt work on it at all.

and thats just the metal bumper thats underneath the bumper cover lol. it will look like that till summer when I save up some money to fix it. and my fender was bent right by the head light, I cracked this headlight too, trying to put in.....

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnymagnum
my mom got it from the dealer, so it came with the mounting kit. did you have to drill holes in your tail gate, then put in those gay retaining clips? thats where im stuck at. it was -12 today so I didnt work on it at all.

and thats just the metal bumper thats underneath the bumper cover lol. it will look like that till summer when I save up some money to fix it. and my fender was bent right by the head light, I cracked this headlight too, trying to put in.....
Yup, measure four times, drill once. The nice thing is if you need to take it off for whatever reason, or replace it, all you have to do is unscrew it. Very important to get the inserts to seat though. The top of my tailgate was scratched up anyway, so I held mine in place until it wouldn't screw down any further. It even tells you in the instructions to touch up paint them once they're in, so that's what I did. Let it dry, and presto, new piece to the truck.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

I just finished putting it on. it looks really good. I broke one insert, so I'm gonna have to see where I can find one. but theres 3 bolts holding it on for now.

I'll post up some pics if it stops snowing. were supposed to get another 20cm today. so I'll probly take some pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: tail gate spoiler