3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Batteries????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Durarlast Gold with the 8 year warranty is hard to beat. I use them in everything.
I am going to a Dynabat in my Mustang if the Duralast ever fails just to save a bunch of weight. Duralast Gold in everything else.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the same boat as well, just a hair under 40k miles on my 04 and im thinking about changing out the battery soon. funny how ive replaced the alternator before the damn battery.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Now for those of you griping about what an optims costs. When I had my bass boat, I used to have to replace my deep cycles (2 of 'em) every year. The bargain ones at Wally World were about $90 each. Another tourney fisherman suggested the Optimas to me, saying he's had the same issue and was on the third year with his. So I bought them, not cheap for the yeller ones, I think I gave about $189 each for 'em. But when I sold the boat 4 years later, it still had the same batteries in it and they still held a charge pretty much like when they were new.
Now in the end, which was cheaper?
I'll double check but last time I looked my ram wasn't a boat...I just checked and yup she still won't float . On the automobile side of things, i've never seen anyone have to replace their battery every year that didn't have a prob with their charging system....cheapy battery or not.

I like optimas and owned a red top in the past (did nothing for me that any other battery wouldn't do) but for me and most other people they're not needed. I'm just letting the thread starter know that he doesn't have to spend so much money to get the same results. The end

Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I'll double check but last time I looked my ram wasn't a boat...I just checked and yup she still won't float . On the automobile side of things, i've never seen anyone have to replace their battery every year that didn't have a prob with their charging system....cheapy battery or not.

I like optimas and owned a red top in the past (did nothing for me that any other battery wouldn't do) but for me and most other people they're not needed. I'm just letting the thread starter know that he doesn't have to spend so much money to get the same results. The end

Finally!....lmao

Unless you have a winch, lots of lights, or a killer stereo then I would just stick to a regular battery.

The problem with the boat batteries is that people drain them down all the time with their lights, depth finders...etc.. The Optimas are great for reserve capacity.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM
hemidel
Professional

Ok, thanks for the input. I dont really have any high powered accesories, so, Im going to buy the Duralst Gold..........

Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Wise choice!!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
devildg84
Professional

yeah i just got the gold one from autozone after my stock one died... its been good so far... has a 3 year replacement warrenty and a 8 year prorated one so its a pretty good deal i think

Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

My point is simply that you get what you pay for. I've got a winch and and a few other accessories. The stock battery has been fine for four years. But I'm of the opinion that I upgrade a component when I replace it. Always have. The OP may get acceptable results from a Wal Mart battery, but if you think it would give the same results as an Optima, then I got a bridge I'm selling that I'd like you to look at...

Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
My point is simply that you get what you pay for. I've got a winch and and a few other accessories. The stock battery has been fine for four years. But I'm of the opinion that I upgrade a component when I replace it. Always have. The OP may get acceptable results from a Wal Mart battery, but if you think it would give the same results as an Optima, then I got a bridge I'm selling that I'd like you to look at...

Okay, alright, enough boys!
Sounds like we have a small disagreement going on. Why don't we just sit back and relax to come to our senses on what is going on and who should team up with who? I take Hammers side of the debate!...aaaahahahahahaahhhhaa
I really didn't have nothing to add, but I have just been following this thread since day one because there's not much about battery talk compared to ...ohh, let's say umm a tire thread or a cai thread...hehehehe

Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

For a deep cycle battery, the yellow top Optima's are great.
Unless you do alot of offroading in rough terrain, then the spiral design isn't near as beneficial as is the extra cost for the red top. I'm not saying that they are not a good battery, just not worth the extra money to me for a daily driver.
The Motorcraft battery that cam in the 96 Windstar that I had lasted 8 years 11 months before failing. I couldn't believe that!! Some batteries just last longer than others.
I also like the easy exchange policy for the Duralast battery since there is a AutoZone on every corner around here.

Quick Reply: Batteries????????