3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Batteries????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 PM
hemidel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries????????

I still have the factory battery on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 and was thinking its about time to change it being the battery is going on 5yrs. Does anybody know of a good battery to replace the original? I was thinking about the Duralast Gold 65-DLG with 850 cca & 1000 ca. Any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about this as well seeing that Im in that same boat. Also been wandering if anybody has a two battery setup and any pics of it? I keep adding more and more electronics so I may need to upgrade the alternator and add a second battery.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have an '04 and use my winch from time to time and the little window still shows green. I won't wait for red & dead, but I'll not change it till I either have a problem or it floats the little yellow ball.
But then I'll probably get an Optima...

Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Wapakfred
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have an '04 and use my winch from time to time and the little window still shows green. I won't wait for red & dead, but I'll not change it till I either have a problem or it floats the little yellow ball.
But then I'll probably get an Optima...
I can't agree with Hammer on this...the damn batteries always have the ability to fail completely just when you can't do anything handy to solve the problem....like in the middle of nowhere on a hunting trip. Until some years ago, I had always replaced mine when they were a little over three years old. I think they are better made now, and wait until they are a little over 4 years old. And when my day comes next year, I will look at the Ultima. But in all likelihood I'll buy something else, the service my truck sees doesn't really need that high a quality battery.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:30 PM
bananafarmer
Professional

i would go with the optima red top it is a very stout battery for everyday use and can take some extra lighting assesorries when you add them

Old 01-01-2009, 03:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Wapakfred
I can't agree with Hammer on this...the damn batteries always have the ability to fail completely just when you can't do anything handy to solve the problem....like in the middle of nowhere on a hunting trip. Until some years ago, I had always replaced mine when they were a little over three years old. I think they are better made now, and wait until they are a little over 4 years old. And when my day comes next year, I will look at the Ultima. But in all likelihood I'll buy something else, the service my truck sees doesn't really need that high a quality battery.

I should have probably also volunteered the fact that I keep a fully charged 600 cranking amp jump starter in my toolbox!!!
Also, I have a friend with a Chevy Z71 who noticed his battery indicator bubble went from green to yellow when we were trout fishing in the north Ga. mountains in April. We were in his truck hunting a couple weeks ago, hasn't swapped it out yet, still yellow.
I think when mine turns from green to yellow, It'll probably get me to the auto parts store for an Optima...

Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bananafarmer
i would go with the optima red top it is a very stout battery for everyday use and can take some extra lighting assesorries when you add them
Over priced...a battery for half the price will last for 4-5 years without trouble. Napa's and duralasts have never let me down.

Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 01-01-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I think when mine turns from green to yellow, It'll probably get me to the auto parts store for an Optima...
Where can you see the green or yellow on it?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by 02Steve1990
Where can you see the green or yellow on it?
Should be on top of the battery close to the negative post. It is a little clear window.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:14 PM
hemidel
Professional

Thanks for the input. Even though I was set on the Duralast, Im going to research the optima battery and see what it has to offer. Is there any other brands besides the ones mentioned?

Quick Reply: Batteries????????