3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For those who polish their wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 AM
7mmmag1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are aluminum wheels and the rag didnt turn black then they are clear coated like mine. Car wax works great

Old 01-02-2009, 01:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ried69
I use the Eagle One spray bottle for aluminum tires. Even though I have the chrome clad ones, it really shines them up, and is without doubt the easiest to use, ever. You spray it on all over the rims, let it soak for a while, then wash it off with water. No water streaks, and really puts that shine in it. I mainly use that because I hate getting that wax around all of those grooves and corners in the rim.
After a while any kind of bottle spray that cleans wheels will either pit, peel or stain the finish after time. I have had lots of experience with all kinds of wheel cleaners. Many will dmage and Yellow the clear coat. The wheel cleaners that are the "easiest" to use are the worst for your wheels. If you don't have to put any elbow grease to polish your wheels, then your doing more harm than good. It just takes a while to catch up to you.

With wheels like those, I would use any kind of aluminum polish that is a paste and I have a polish ball that goes on the end of my drill that would shine all 4 wheels in about 20 minutes. You could use a dremel for the tight spots, but my buffer tip for my drill gets most places. You always want to use a little more paste than necessary. That will help you clean faster with no "burn in" streaks.
Trust me, I have owned a detail shop for 6yrs now.

For the fake Clad wheels, I wouldn't recommend any type of wheel cleaner that is out on the market. I would recommend a basic degreaser product that is properly diluted like Simple Green or Prurple Power, but they must be diluted 10:1. Those store bought wheel cleaners are all very bad for the finishes, especially if you spray them on and don't rinse off almost immediately. Basically Spray, quick scrub and a rinse. Any longer and your just askin for trouble. Ever notice how they "chalk" up when they dry and leave those chalky runs or streaks. Yeah, thats the acid in the cleaner.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flitz and a rag. Works great

Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
New2Durango
Professional

If you have a truck stop or tractor trailer parts store near you go there and ask for a metal polish. I used Never Dull and it didn't work all that good. I forgot what I used to use on my tanks and wheels but I went over them with 0000 (4 zeros) grit sandpaper first and they came out really good.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
eaglestorm
Professional

Originally Posted by SmokeySportRam
DO NOT USE NEVERDULL ON wheels that arnt real chrome, or stainless steel
why's that I have never had any problem on anything I have used it on and I use it on my classic show car and it has taken first at the concours show twice ??

Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mothers aluminum polish and a power ball is what I use on my Mustang's Weld wheels.
Safe for non coated wheels and the drill does all of the work.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
why's that I have never had any problem on anything I have used it on and I use it on my classic show car and it has taken first at the concours show twice ??

Neverdull is perfect for any smooth finish if used gently. It's essentially a wadding polish. It is a superfine brillo pad. Yes it scratches if you are not gentle!!! Also, it has Petroleum distillates that clean. That's calles Kerosene on any surface it touches.
There's always a negative for stuff that works so great. Don't get me wrong, I love neverdull and it does a fantastic job. You just have to know it's limitations. I regularly used Neverdull on my Stainless tips on my Mustang and they have swrils and scratches al through tme because the stuff scratches gently. I have used it on the bottom of my rocker panels to get tar off and it works great. Just a little FYI for those interested in the stuff.

Quick Reply: For those who polish their wheels...