3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Swap a 4.7L out for a 6.1L "hemi"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Sat, I am going to be picking up the truck from the dealer. I already have the springs and bilstein shocks from a SRT-10 installed so the suspension is done. Brakes, I would either need an upgraded package (aftermarket) or SRT-10 Swap which would be alot more then aftermarket I think.

Ill ask the tech that does all the work on my truck what he thinks and the parts needed etc.

Well, I could bet money dodge would never put a 6.1L in our trucks. I believe there "done" by upping the Hemi's HP. I would think as long as you have catalytic convertors your truck would pass emissions no problems! Although I will have to look into the legal apects of engine swapping in PA.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
dabig47

i wana do that as soon as my junkyard get there hands on a srt8 engine

Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

I'd imagine that sometime Dodge will do it again, especially if Chevy would come out with a 427 Silverado SS. Since they obviously got rid of the SRT-10 for a reason. In a truck, that was kinda overkill. Nice, but overkill. So for some more performance, but still practical, the 6.1 HEMI would be a good engine, at least in my opinion.

So then could you actually put in an engine from an SRT-10 in a Dodge truck legally, since they did put that engine into these trucks from the factory?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
That would be sweet. I've wanted to do that with either a more powerful 5.7 HEMI, or if I could find a good cheap 6.1 HEMI, then sell mine for a little money.
You already have a hemi in yours. That would be ridiclous to do a swap for a 6.1 when the 6.1 is only a bored, baby cammed with some headwork 5.7....putting it simply. Bore/stroke yours, little head work and toss a fat cam in there...BAM you got yourself a 6.1 eater monster.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want the 3rd gen 440 hemi from Arrington Engines!
http://www.arringtonengines.com/p-10...n-engines.aspx

Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

Does the 6.1 have the same redline?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Check it out here http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html The 6.1 can rev higher than the 5.7.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

I talked to the Dodge dealer when I picked up the truck.
My speedo is still jumping irradicly when I am stopped and my lights on the dash are acting funny. The ABS, BRAKE, AIRBAG and CHECK ENGINE lights are on after I start the car but then go off after a couple second hesitation. I pulled the battery and will reinstall monday when I take it back to the stealer and complain lol.

On the 6.1L swap, they were about to close but I did talk briefly to the guy about it. He said that would be cool but couldnt give me any info. I asked if I could keep my tranny etc etc but he doesnt know pretty much anything! Go figure he said ask the parts guy rofl!

Ok dodge members, since we all know the 5.7 is very very very similar to the 5.7, the question is? Does anyone know whos done a 4.7L to 5.7L swap. Im thinking everything should be the same as far as standards go.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
draco8494
Captain

i thought there was a reason why they didint put the 6.1 in the trucks...because they dont have the strength to put up with luging around a QC ram? or to tow any loads..there also an all aluminum block also right? i dunno correct me if im wrong but i thought i read something about it around here

Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
I talked to the Dodge dealer when I picked up the truck.
My speedo is still jumping irradicly when I am stopped and my lights on the dash are acting funny. The ABS, BRAKE, AIRBAG and CHECK ENGINE lights are on after I start the car but then go off after a couple second hesitation. I pulled the battery and will reinstall monday when I take it back to the stealer and complain lol.

On the 6.1L swap, they were about to close but I did talk briefly to the guy about it. He said that would be cool but couldnt give me any info. I asked if I could keep my tranny etc etc but he doesnt know pretty much anything! Go figure he said ask the parts guy rofl!

Ok dodge members, since we all know the 5.7 is very very very similar to the 5.7, the question is? Does anyone know whos done a 4.7L to 5.7L swap. Im thinking everything should be the same as far as standards go.
A 5.7 isn't very very very similar to a 5.7, it IS a 5.7.
I've thought about boring out my truck to be a bigger size, but how expensive would doing that be in comparison to getting an engine that has less miles and more life left in it?

Quick Reply: Swap a 4.7L out for a 6.1L "hemi"